This Journal entry is one I have been putting off.
Number 1....because it's going to take me some serious time!
Number 2.....because it was so special this year.
Number 3......it's hard to think it's over for Garrett.
However, now that football is over, it needs to be documented.
Did I mention already what a special, special season this was?
Towards the end of last year, the coaches started talking about pulling
Ty up to Varsity to play the free Safety position with Garrett who was the Strong Safety!
They practiced during the summer and then had the team camp at Weber State.
It was so fun to see them out there on the field side by side.
As the season got closer....there were even articles in the paper talking about how
neat it was that two brothers would be starting and playing together!
The Blue and White game was held on Friday, August 11th at the High School.
This is where our team scrimmages against each other to work out kinks,
and give all of us the opportunity to come watch and see how things are going.
That was a fun night and got us excited for the season to start!
The very first game of the season was the following week,
Friday, Aug. 18th vs. Roy @ Roy 7p.m.
Grandpa Randle, Gma Davies, and Grandma and Grandpa Burke all came
to the game to support the boys!
I was a nervous wreck!
I was excited to finally have the season start, but I was nervous for Ty in his
first Varsity game and I wanted us to win so bad!
I wanted Garrett and Ty to play to the best of their abilities and
most importantly....not get hurt!
I wish I could say we won, but the outcome was not what we wanted.
We came out really strong, and then for whatever reason, we just couldn't make
a score happen!
Garrett had a great game defensively and Ty scored a TD, so that was fun for both of them!
And.....none of us could get enough of seeing them out there together!
Ty kept cramping and was having a hard time staying in the game because of it!
The next game was held Friday, Aug. 25th vs. Jordan.
It was a televised home game!
And boy....was it the game of the season for our boys.....and for us!
The first half of the game was really slow.....both teams good defensively,
so no one was really scoring and it just wasn't super exciting!
We kicked a field goal to put us up 3 before half.
After the half, Jordan score.....but the very next play, Ty scored a 77 yrd touch down
and put us up 10-7.
Shortly after that Jordan scored 2 more times, putting them up 21-10
with 6 minutes or so left.
Ty Metcalfe threw a long bomb to Ty and we scored again!
Now the score was 21-17.
Garrett had an awesome block to deflect Jordan's pass!
Jordan made a fake field goal attempt, which Ty read,
and ended up getting a pick 6 off that fake attempt!
That put us up 24-21 and the crowd was going crazy!
It was such a fun atmosphere!
In the last few minutes of the game, Ty had another Interception
which pretty much solidified our win!
Clock ran out and we won!!
After the end of the game, they interviewed our team and Ty and Coach Knight,
and awarded our Team the trophy for the game,
and gave Ty the Tuff Shed Stud of The Game award and shirt!
The neatest part of the night for us as parents was watching
Garrett and Ty just cheering each other on.
At one point on the tv, when Ty was running for a Touch Down,
Garrett can be seen running the sideline behind him with his hands in the air cheering!
I love their relationship!
Grandma Davies was interview and put on tv and the next day,
she was all over social media!
It was hilarious!!
It was an incredible night and one I won't ever forget!
So dang proud of Garrett and Ty!
My very favorite picture of the season....even if it IS blurry!
We came home after that game and rewatched it on our tv
while we ate dinner with Grandma!
Best Night Ever!
Friday, Sept. 1st we played North Ridge, again at Syracuse.
This game didn't turn out so well!
Alex Forbush got a season ending injury with his elbow,
Garrett got a concussion just before half and was out for the next week,
and Ty Metcalfe broke his collarbone.....
and we lost!
It just wasn't my favorite game of the season to say the least!
We were really worried about Bub.
He just was acting so weird!
We were so grateful when he finally calmed down and appeared more normal.
He had to take the next week and a half off until he was cleared
and then was able to come back that 2nd Friday, in time for the Homecoming game.
We missed Sis dancing during half time that night as well,
because we were in the trainer's room with Garrett.
Thankfully, we had friends that were able to record her and take pictures for us!
In the last quarter.....Ty got hit hard and we were worried he had a concussion.....
but he just had a sore neck!
I have never wanted a game to end as much as I wanted that one to!
I kept hoping they would just call it!
Too many kids were getting hurt and it just needed to be over!
Our next game was held Friday, Sept. 8th at Syracuse vs. Bountiful!
I felt bad that Garrett had to sit this one out, but grateful he was doing so well!
It was a fun game and we won!
This game was fun because Bridger got to play QB with Ty Metcalfe out,
and he threw a pass to Ty for a TD!
It was awesome to see them back out there doing their thing on the High School field!
We started off Homecoming week with Trav and I helping
Janet and Bill Kopfman decorate Maverik for the team!
I also helped with the team dinner the night before the game!
Homecoming was Friday, Sept. 15th vs. Layton and we finished that night with a Win!
Garrett was cleared to play and I was nervous the whole time!
But He and Ty had a great game and it was fun to watch!
The next week, we played at Weber High, Sept. 22nd.
This was another rough game.
We just couldn't get our groove......alternating Quarter backs.
Weber is a dang good team and ended up being the Region Champs,
but boy.....we'd like to have a redo for that game!
It was pretty cool however, to see both of our boys playing on the same field their dad did!
Senior Night was held Friday, Sept. 29th at Syracuse vs. Fremont.
This one was rough for me.
As Trav and I lined up with the rest of the parents before the game,
I watched Garrett walk towards us and it made me cry.
They started playing "Boys of Fall"
and I was done! I couldn't keep the tears back.
The entire team lined the field for the parents and the Seniors to walk through.
Hearing kids say Garrett's name and pat him on the back was awesome!
He is loved on that team!
They called out each Senior and their parents and gave the mom's a rose
and took our pictures,
then the Senior player ran back through the tunnel of players and coaches.
Ty was at the end of the tunnel waiting for Garrett
and they hugged and jumped up in the air together.
Pretty sweet night.
AND.......pretty awesome win vs. Fremont!
Dallin Hall met up with Ty after the game.....fun for them to see each other!
Friday, October 6th we played at Clearfield.
Uncle Nate, Aunt Ally and their family came to watch!
We got a nice win there and had a fun night!
Our last game of the regular season was held at Davis High on Friday, Oct. 13th.
WE KILLED THEM!!!
It felt good after losing in double overtime to them last year,
to come and basically keep them off the scoreboard!
Both boys had a great game and it was a fun night!
The first round of playoffs was held Friday, Oct. 27th vs.West Jordan.
Aust and I helped with the lunch for the team earlier that afternoon!
We were the higher seed, so we got one more Home game!
We won and it was so exciting!!!
Weird and a little hard to watch Garrett play his last game ever
at Syracuse High that night!
2nd round was played, Friday, Nov. 3rd at Bingham.
Dang Bingham.
They killed us!
Ty was hurt towards the first of the game, so he didn't get to play much.
Garrett had a great game though and had a good time, knowing it was his last.
When the game was over, he came to Trav and I
and thanked us for all the support over the years.
It was an emotional time for all of us, realizing he'd never really play football again.
He went and gave Gma Davies a huge hug and thanked her as well,
before loading the bus for the last time.
Man, this was a tear jerker for me.
The End of Season Football Banquet was held at the High School
on December 7, 2017!
Both Garrett and Ty received some special honors!
Their Coaches love them and they LOVE their Coaches!
It was a great night!
So proud of these two!
It was such a special, special season.
Both boys grew a lot from playing together.
They had to take some criticisms from other people regarding them playing together.
Some comments were rough and hard to over look,
but I was so proud that together, they worked things out
and became ever closer together.
They loved and supported each other the entire season and
that made Trav and I so very proud!
He went and gave Gma Davies a huge hug and thanked her as well,
before loading the bus for the last time.
Man, this was a tear jerker for me.
The End of Season Football Banquet was held at the High School
on December 7, 2017!
Both Garrett and Ty received some special honors!
Their Coaches love them and they LOVE their Coaches!
It was a great night!
So proud of these two!
It was such a special, special season.
Both boys grew a lot from playing together.
They had to take some criticisms from other people regarding them playing together.
Some comments were rough and hard to over look,
but I was so proud that together, they worked things out
and became ever closer together.
They loved and supported each other the entire season and
that made Trav and I so very proud!
































































































No comments:
Post a Comment