Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Kid on the Nike Block -

13 years ago this Valentine's Day, a letter came to Merrill Hall #439 at Utah State University informing me that I had been hired as an EFY Counselor for the summer of '97. I had gone through a series of interviews, filled out major paperwork and gotten several letters of recommendation. It was quite the process and the further along I got, the more I wanted that job so bad. It was one of those things that consumes your thoughts and keeps you up late at night. So, when the letter finally came telling me I was chosen for the position, I was thrilled! I remember calling home to share the news with Dad and my brothers. They were happy for me, but I just kindof assumed they were men and it was just "Ok" to them! I packed up my bags and headed for home that afternoon, to come meet a guy for a date. I will never forget walking up to the front door of Dad's and seeing a paper taped to it. As I got closer it said something about "Sarah Randle EFY Counselor Lives HERE!" I smiled and walked through the door to find signs with different sayings all over the house about how cool it was that I got that job. My Brother Nate was watching me read the notes from upstairs, and after a while, he came down to give me a big congratulatory hug. I wonder if he even remembers doing this for me, or if he will ever know what that meant to me. He told so many people that I had been hired out of 3,000 applicants and what a big deal that was. He made me feel so important and made that day that much more exciting for me.

Fast Forward to Dec. 1st or so, 2009. I'm afraid that I wasn't near that supportive, when I received a phone call from Nate as I was doing some Christmas shopping. He chit-chatted around a little bit before he dropped the bomb that he had just accepted a position with Nike. This just after living in California working for Callaway Golf for the last 5 years, surprising us last Christmas that he got an awesome new job and would be moving back home, dangling his family in front of our face for the last 10 months, and now leaving again for who knows how long this time. If I remember the conversation right, I pretty much sat there as he explained awesome things to me like "Sis., they called me! THEY, NIKE, Called me!! Nike doesn't just call people.....people call them! But, THEY called ME!" He then went on to tell me he would be Marketing Tiger Woods/Nike Golf (I think I have that all correct!), and would live in Portland, Oregon....with an awesome salary he was able to negotiate, etc. I have replayed that conversation over and over in my head, and each time I feel absolutely horrible. I was thinking more of how this would impact me......not having my niece and nephew around any more, no more photography sessions with Allyson from Allyson Randle Photography :), and no more Uncle Nate at the boys games. I even emailed him the most adorable picture of the two of us that I just recently found, hoping to change his mind!
Never did I stop to think of how bad Nate has wanted to work for Nike. He has gone through a series of interviews there, gotten letters of recommendation, etc. and the closer he got......the more he wanted to work there. He has had his sights set on Nike for a long time.....so much so, that I'm sure it too consumed his thoughts and caused many sleepless nights!

Today, as he left for Portland, I realized it was my chance to repay the favor of the excitement and pride he created for me. I sat down at my computer and typed up some papers, grabbed the tape and hung signs all over my house in his honor! I only wish I would have thought of it sooner, for him to see in person.
Nate knows I talk A LOT....but what he probably doesn't know, is how much I talk about him! I often find myself telling people about where he is and what he's doing. I am just as proud of him as he has been of me.....I'm just lousier at showing it. So, my dear brother, I want you to know how happy and excited I am for you with this new job. I will miss you so much.....but look forward to your calls as you're driving home from work again (remember, you did that when you had those long California drives? When they turned into 15 min. Utah drives....you quit calling!) I love you with all my heart and have looked up to you from the day I was born. Thank you for always being an incredible example to me. Nike is lucky to have you.......
I just hope they know you're only on loan for a couple years!

Congrats - I love you!
-Sis

9 comments:

Ally said...

How sweet that was. I am sitting here crying when I should be getting Ella ready for school. Thanks for your support..and your brother does know how much you and support him.
Thanks for the sweet love and we will miss you all so much.
however your photgraphy session haven't ended you just have to go a bit further to get them! :) love you.

Megan said...

I am touched at what a sweet relationship you have with your big brother. (That picture of him holding you as a baby is priceless!!) What a blessing that you have eachother! :) You will have to go visit them....a lot!! P.S. If anyone can save Tiger's image (sniff, sniff) HE can! :)

Hillary said...

That is Awsome!

I love how supportive your family is.

I know from experence that Portland is not too far away. (65% of my family live there) If you leave your house at 5:00am and drive all day you can make it by dinner :)

It is a lot more fun to live close to each other, but just think of all of the new vacation destinations.

I hope Nate loves his new job.

Amy Spalding said...

I am dying over that cute picture of you and your brother! Sweet! We almost lived in Portland, and we've been to Nike Town several times-I'm sure they are lucky to have him! He's got his work cut out for him with Tiger..;) Anyway-I always love reading your posts.

Oh-Sam got Tyler's letter...that was so nice!

Merinda said...

Wow, if everyone could have such an incredible brother and sister combination. I definately look up to you and the relationship that you have created with your siblings and father. I can only imagine how hard it is to say goodbye to your brother, but after 2 years of living in Portlant myself, I can tell you that as far as the church is concerned, they will definately look after him and his family for you. It is great there and he will love it. And another great thing is you now have a new vacation destination.

Allison said...

Yah for Nate! That is so exciting. Sorry for you, but you guys will have a new fabulous place to visit.

McDougal's said...

Could you make me cry any harder...you are so amazing and I am sure your brother is as well. You need to write a book. You have a talent with words and life experiences. Keep being my example, I need you!

Mom said...

Sarah, What a beautifully written blog to Nate! What a lovely thing to do for him! Wow! I didn't know about this big offer for Nate and his family--that is awesome!
Just think of it this way, now you have another place to travel to see the beautiful land northward.
Families are the Best and greatest blessing! You are both doublely blessed to love each other so much!
Give Nate and Ally our best-we are happy for them.
Lavonne

Bob and Tana Hale said...

Sarah and Travis, You are the american dream for the perfect family. How proud Bob and I are to have you leading the way for future generations. Your children and all the neices and nephews have your example to follow.. I am so grateful for your fine example. Love all of you SO very much. MOM HALE