Monday, June 27, 2011

Something Worth Celebrating.....

On June 25, 1951, a young man serving in the United States Air Force, and a beautiful young woman from a little town called Cyprus, Utah,entered the Manti LDS Temple where they were sealed for time and all eternity. To this union came three children - Rosan, Brent and Bruce. Later on down the road Rosan married and brought to the family 3 children of her own - Nathan, Sarah and Spencer. That is when I became one of the most blessed children in the world to find myself calling that young United States Air Forceman and that beautiful young woman from Cyprus
"Grandma and Grandpa."

Grandpa was from a little town just 15 mins East of Tooele called Lake Point.
After living in New York City from Military duties,
they moved back to Utah and made their home in Lake Point.
Grandpa worked for the Government at the Bureau of Land Reclamation in Salt Lake City and Grandma stayed home with the children, working every so often at different things including the school cafeteria to help make ends meat.
Grandpa served as Bishop of their ward and later as the Stake President in Grantsville. Grandma held several positions in the church from Scouting, to Primary and Relief Society, etc.
In 1985 they lost their only daughter, my sweet Mom, and quickly became heavily involved in helping to raise their grandchildren. Not one game, performance, dance, Birthday party, or school function was ever missed. The miles they put on their vehicles driving from Lake Point to Kaysville at least a few times a month for years is incredible.
Often we were found spending the weekend at Grandma and Grandpa's.
I know I went there as often as I could.
Our friends were always welcome at Grandma and Grandpa's home as well.
They saved their hard earned money and took all of us to Washington D.C., Alaska, and camping at least twice a summer for years.

Next to my parents, they have been some of the most influencial people in shaping my life and who I am today as a parent myself. I can't believe how lucky I am to not only have known them and loved them in my own life, but now my own children know them and love them just as much as I do. Not many kids grow up knowing their Great-Grandparents and I realize how fortunate my children are to have them in their lives. Grandma makes sure that all of the traditions we enjoyed as kids, have been passed on to my children and that they're done each year! Every time they're off track we go stay with them over night to keep making memories and traditions. The kids look forward to that each break they get.
In June of 2001, Grandma and Grandpa celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary.
We wanted to hold a big party then, but due to Grandma going through Chemo treatments for Breast Cancer, we were unable to do anything major.
We worked really hard collecting addresses of friends and family and sent out a letter to each asking for them to write to Grandma and Grandpa some of their favorite memories, feelings and admirations. We were amazed at the response we received and placed all of the letters into a nice book and presented it to our Grandparents on their 50th Anniversary.
They loved it, but it never felt like enough to really celebrate this incredible marriage and the good they have done together for others in that time.

Never did I image that with Grandmas health and Grandpa's dealing with Alzheimers, that they would both be here 10 years later to celebrate their 60th Anniversary.
But, I am thrilled to say they both are, and we did!


Uncle Bruce arranged for a big luncheon down at Little America in Salt Lake, made beautiful invites and paid for the lunch. Uncle Brent bought flowers and brought them to me to arrange last Thurs along with a corsage and boutonniere.
Friday we met with over 100 of Grandma and Grandpa's closest friends and family.
What an honor that almost everyone invited was able to come and show their love and support. Each person there had been touched and influenced in one way or another by them.
It was so fun to have so many people tell me how
much my little girl looks just like her Grandma, my Mom.
I'm so grateful we were able to do that and thank my Uncles so much for putting it all together. Grandpa wasn't quite sure where he was or why he was there, but he loved hugging everyone who came in and seeing them all again.
He told Grandma the other day that "He's loved her for 50 years!" She laughed and said, "It's a good thing, cause we've been married for 60!"
She and I both got a kick out of that over the phone and I told her that was actually really good odds - 50 out of the 60 just isn't that bad! She's got a good track record that girl!Grandma and Grandpa, thank you for all you have done and continue to do for me and my little family. You are incredible Christ-like examples and I just know that the Lords greatest blessings will be yours for your life of service, love and dedication to Him and all who entered your lives at one point or another. I hope and pray that Trav and I can follow your example of living our lives together in service and that our posterity will hold us in as high esteem as yours do you. Happy, Happy 60th Anniversary.
I love you with all of my heart.

5 comments:

Franklin Times said...

SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL!

Amy Lincoln said...

Amazing! I love hearing stories like these.

Heidi E said...

Every word is so true!! They are some of the most amazing people I have ever met. I always felt welcome in there home. I have always called her "Grandma" because she makes me feel like I am one of her own. What great examples they are to me and every one that meets them. Even the Walmart door greeter! Thanks for sharing Sarah.

Angela said...

Beautiful post, Sarah....I love Aunt Jean and Uncle Gib....some of the nicest. people. ever. :)

Megan said...

What a wonderful post! It made me get a little choked up! I love grandparents and it looks like you have some special ones. They are just darling!!