Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Dealing with Disappointments....

Lately there have been a string of disappointing events around the Burke household and we're all learning how to deal with them - in our own way of course.

First off - A couple of posts ago we shared Julia's fetish with my "Derodiant." Well, I decided I hated the new kind I bought. So, off we went to Walmart yesterday and as we walked down the isle, she was like a kid in a candy store. I picked up my all time fav and with a huge smile on her face, Julia looked up at me and said, "Ok, now which one are we going to get for me?" When I explained that she didn't get any until she was older, it was as though I took a pin to her balloon and popped all her dreams. Later, walking through the store, she pointed her finger at me and said, "Mom, you better share the one you got with me then!" Hate to disappoint you Sis, but I think my "Derodiant" will be finding a new, hidden drawer from you.....I kinda need it. You kinda don't! (Somehow, I know she'll work this smile magic of hers on me and end up using some!)Next wave of disappointment came when we FINALLY got nice enough weather to take the boat to Mantua for the first of the season to run it around and make sure all is well.....and of course, to throw our lines into the water and catch the first of the fish. Trav met me on his lunch break yesterday, we bought our new licenses and later, headed off to the lake. While we have to be excited that all was still in great working condition with our boat, the major disappointment came when 3 of us had a line in the water for at least 2 hours and not once did any of us catch anything. We're not even sure we got a bite. For all we know.....we were stuck in algae! Then, we turn to find out all of the licorice was already gone - stupid "Not Me" ghost got us again! Disappointing for sure!Round 3 of our Disappointing problems came at 8:30 this morning. As I drove the boys to school, I dropped the bomb of all bombs on them apparently. "Garrett and Ty, Dad will be here to pick you up in front of the school today, so be watching for him." "Why is Dad picking us up? Is he checking us out early for something fun?" "No, you're not getting checked out early, he's just picking you up so you can make it to your football physicals in time." You would have thought I kicked them in the gut. "Oh no!!! Is it at the same place we went last year Mom?" Tyler whines. "Yes, Why?" He goes on to tell me - "Mom, they only have girl doctors there. I hate to pull down my pants in front of girl doctors." Thinking I had the words to make him feel better I said, "Ty, I go to a guy doctor and I'm a girl. I think you can handle it!" His response had me laughing the whole way home. "See, all doctors should be guys!!!! Even you have one!" They got out of the car with their shoulders slumped and their faces sagging. As they shut the door to leave, I heard Garrett say, "This is gonna be the worst day ever!" I wish I felt bad for them and their "Disappointment," but being 7 mos pregnant and having the appointments I have, there isn't much sympathy coming from this mom! Good luck my boys.....I'll be here to comfort you when you return home.....after I have a water party with my Scouts!Now, for the REAL disappointment. This time around, I wanted to find a nice diaper bag that would last the whole time we needed to use it and could also serve as my purse. I laid all the ground work to prep Trav for the cost (why do guys not see the need to spend loads of money on a diaper bag! Ha, Ha!), he gifts it to me for Mother's Day, I search and search and finally choose one. I get the email telling me it's on it's way. I can't wait! Enter Heather. She doesn't even really need a diaper bag. She has one. But, she decides it might be getting old so she looks online for 2 seconds, pays her $40 and gets hers in the mail before I do. It is super cute and she loves it! Mine gets delivered. I grab a knife and can't get into the box fast enough. Pull it out AND........what in the heck? It is HUGE for one, and for two? It has canvasy fabric when I thought it was a washable laminate look. It also has this horrible latch that has to be hooked in every time the bag is shut. Dang. I don't love it. So, the search begins again and I finally just decide to go with the one I liked very first. I order it, get the message it's on its way, and again, I wait in anticipation. It comes, I grab the knife, I tear into that box, (With Heather on the phone waiting to hear if this time it's the one), and BAM!!!! I kinda hate it. The cut of the fabric is not what the picture looks like. It's super wild and this time......it's too small! I feel like goldilocks! By this time, Heather is trying not to laugh. Easy for her.....she has a cute diaper bag! I hang up the phone, try to talk myself into loving it, and then get right back online to begin the search.
I know the rest of the family has problems, but come on.......this is serious business! Both diaper bags are going to be re-packaged and sent back where they came from. I think I'll stick to finding one in a store that I can see in person. With the shipping I'm losing, I could have an awesome diaper bag by now!Wish us luck as the week continues! It's bound to get better, right?

4 comments:

Megan said...

Hey, you forgot to add the no swimming lessons by Shirelle, to your list of disappointments! I loved that last summer! I cannot wait to see what diaper bag you end up with! You are cracking me up with your diaper bag hunt!

Rachelle said...

Oh how I understand the diaper bag dilemma. I ordered a skip hop one that has a magnetic closure, and I am hating it. I always shove the darn thing too full, and it won't close. I finally found one I loved at a boutique, and the salesperson told me it would be on sale next week. I peeked at the tag as I walked out, and I almost dropped to the floor. For some reason, I don't think Josh will understand the reasoning behind a 185.00 dollar bag. Good luck with your search!!!!!

Franklin Times said...

Third time is a charm... so they say! Good luck with the search, we can't have any more disappointments. You and your family are just too cute for words :) Luv ya

Amy Lincoln said...

I kinda like the black and white one but I can see that the buckle might be hard. You are making me grateful that I don't have to worry about having a diaper bag because I am super picky!