16 years ago I had my life all planned out. I was getting ready to graduate High School and had already put money down as the deposit for the dorm myself and 5 of my dear friends were going to live in as we made that first step out of our parents nests and into our very own at Utah State. A month after graduation, my missionary came home. At that point, I didn't think life could get any better. By Sept. I was packing up my room and boxing up my things. The day I left for school, my Dad helped me load up my new little Honda Accord. I remember giving him a hug - then watching him walk up the porch of his home, while I sat in the drivers seat ready to head off. It only took a minute before my eyes swelled up with tears, and I found myself running to my Dad's arms by the front door. After I gained my composure, and told him good-bye again, I drove myself in silence the whole 55 min. drive to Logan. I was scared to death. How would I do in school? How would I pay for it all? How would I live with girls for the first time? How would my missionary and I date and be that far apart? I quickly settled in and next thing I knew, I was a college girl with a job as the secretary for the Cache School District Audiologist, and a Gospel Doctrine Teacher to a bunch of newly returned Missionaries. My Missionary and I seemed to make time to see each other.....and again, I didn't think life could get any better. By December, I found myself applying for an EFY Counselor position with the CES program of the church. I had a couple of interviews, filled out paper work, got letters of recommendation and then waited for the news. When my missionary found out I had applied for that, a little contention started to grow in our relationship. He was ready to figure out when we were going to get married, and I was still wanting to experience a little more of life. I came home for Christmas Vacation to find an email my brother Nate had sent from his mission in Ohio. "Sis, one of my closest friends out here on the mission, Elder Burke, is having his Mission Homecoming this Sunday, and I want you to go support him for me!" Elder Burke's phone number was attached to the email, and I was given instructions to call and find out the time, so I could attend in Nate's behalf. I talked Heidi into coming to the Homecoming with me. By the time we found his church out in the middle of Taylor, we were late. The back row of the over flow was the only empty spot left. Elder Burke stood up to talk and while Heidi and I enjoyed what he had to share, we were bugged he was going 20 mins. overtime. Without my glasses on, and being on the back row, I couldn't really tell what he looked like. "Is he even cute Heid?" She couldn't really tell either. As we contemplated leaving, Elder Peck (who also served in the Ohio Cleveland Mission) walked in and sat down next to me. Nate had sent him to our home for dinner a few months before, so we had both met each other. I told him we were going to leave, and he talked us into staying, by saying, "You can't leave. Elder Burke will want to meet Randle's little Sis.!" So, we stayed and after Sacrament Meeting, Elder Peck walked us up to the stand. Heidi and I stood below, with Elder Burke's back turned to us. Elder Peck approached Elder Burke and said, "Dude, you've got to meet Randle's little Sister." As Elder Burke turned around and looked down at us, it was quickly evident that neither of us could see from the back row. He was HOT and Heidi and I both turned into little school girls laughing and stumbling all over ourselves as he invited us over to his home for some food. We turned him down, since his family wasn't planning on us, and after talking for a minute, we left and went home. I immediately went home and sent Nate an email. To which he replied, "Sis, I didn't mean for you to go and fall in love with him, I just wanted you to support him. He wrote a girl his whole mission, so I'm sure he's dating her." I was a little crushed, but didn't think much of it, since I was still dating my missionary. Nate got home in January, and on Valentine's Day 1997, I received a letter in the mail telling me I had been accepted for the position as an EFY Counselor that summer. I was so excited. I came home from USU that night for a date with my missionary. It didn't go so well. He was such a good person, and came from such a wonderful family, who I had loved for years. But each time we were together, we were quickly realizing that maybe this relationship wasn't meant to be after all. Our wishes weren't the same at the same time, and that was making it hard between us. I went home from that date a little down and frustrated. The following night, Feb. 15th was the night that Nate and all of his mission buddies had set up to get dates and go out as a group. The previous week, Nate had been at Elder Burke's house and together they called me and asked me to be his date for that night. I was nervous and excited all at the same time. Elder Burke came to our house and Nate drove my car with his date by him and Elder Burke and I in the back. We talked the whole way to Training Table on 4th So. about my new job with EFY. He was so excited for me and wanted to know all about it. After dinner we went to the Fun Dome (the old 49th St. Galleria). We golfed, bowled and played a few other games. My life changed that night. The rest is history, as I am now 15 years down the road, Elder Burke is still by my side, along with a mortgage, church callings, 4 children, and lots on our plates.
16 years ago I thought I knew what path my life would take. The Lord had a different plan, and how grateful I am I followed His instead. Trav keeps me grounded. He is the reasonable, level headed one in our relationship. At times when I might be quick to judge, he is quick to point out other scenarios and always looks to give the benefit of doubt. He is the yin to my yang. 15 years ago, I fell fast and hard for him, and to this day, that has never changed. And, now I know.....life doesn't get any better. Best first date I ever had.
 |
| (49th Street Galleria - Feb. 15, 1997) |
4 comments:
How perfect! I love that you have pictures of your first date. Isn't it funny how we think we know so much...and then life shows us otherwise!? I wasn't going to get married until I was AT LEAST 25...haha, I didn't even make it to 20.
What a wonderful story you have! Thanks for sharing!
Awww what a sweet story! I never knew the story of how you two met! Loved hearing about it.
Cutest love story ever! You two are the best! :)
Adorable! Funny how things work out, isn't it? So happy you found your true love. I love the pictures..:)
Post a Comment