Every time a new patient enters the VA Rest Home, the Bishopric there invites the whole family to a special Sacrament Service centered on the life of that patient so everyone there can get to know them a little better. Grandpa's service was Sunday, Jan. 22nd. Such a humbling experience to witness. Garrett, my Grandpa's oldest Great-Grandchild, got to pass the Sacrament to both of my Grandparents and to several of the other patients in the room. Then, Uncle Brent stood and shared my Grandpa's life history, as the Bishopric invited Grandpa to sit up front where all could see him. I've always known my Grandpa was special, but hearing all about his life in one swoop endeared him to me even more. Next, it was my turn. As I stood to walk to the piano, I felt impressed to share why I chose the song I did. After asking the Bishopric if they would mind me doing so, I shared with the congregation how when I was younger and growing up, I spent a lot of time staying over weekends with Grandma and Grandpa. I loved being there with them. Many times, I took friends with me to stay as well. They were always welcome as far as my Grandparents were concerned. My friends loved them as much as I did. Anyway, I always brought my music to play the piano while I was there. Any time I did, it didn't matter which room in the house Grandpa was, or what he was doing, he'd come in the front room, sit down and listen to me play. Many times as I would play the hymns he would sing while I played. There was never a time he didn't request his favorite....."How Great Thou Art." That song quickly became my favorite as well, because of him. As I told that story, I looked over where my Grandpa was sitting, and saw that he was tearing up. I don't know if he was able to recall any of what I shared, but I know because of his reaction, he must have felt something of that memory. "Today, I play this for you Grandpa." When I finished the arrangement, I walked to my Grandpa, and with tears on his cheek, he reached up to kiss me and whispered, Thank you." Later after church, he put his arm around me. I could see he was trying to tell me how much I mean to him and my Grandma, but the words just wouldn't form right. He got a little frustrated, so I said, "It's ok Grandpa, I already know." I hope those moments are etched into my memory forever. Times like that with my Grandpa are pretty far and few in between anymore. Tender Mercy?
I believe so.
2 comments:
This makes me sad and happy all at the same time. My Grandpa had dementia for about 10 years before he passed away.
When my mom had her cancer, every time he saw her, he would ask her why she cut her hair that way, and you could tell he did not approve of the new style his daughter was sporting. Sometimes my mom would tell him about the cancer and other times she would just ask him if he liked it.
There were many times when I went to visit him that I wondered if he even knew who I was. I was grateful for the moments he did seem to know.
I am so happy for you that you got to have this moment with your grandpa. I know you will treasure it forever.
What an incredibly special grandaughter you are. Such a special and sweet moment for you to share with your family. Wow this is sure a tough ole life.. but we search for the silver lining and keep the faith, and enjoy every tender mercy we can get. Love you!
Post a Comment