Monday, January 9, 2012

The Start of Something New

Could somebody please tell me how this......
turned into this......
OVERNIGHT?

Garrett turned Twelve, Dec. 28th
On Christmas Day, the Bishop presented him to the ward.
What an awesome Christmas gift to hear him declare to the entire congregation that
Garrett had been found Worthy to receive the Aaronic Priesthood!!
He also received his Faith in God award that day too.
Awesome.

 Because of the AAU Tournament the kids were playing in, we didn't plan a friend party for Garrett since we didn't know how long we'd be playing on his actual Birthday.
He just kept thinking he was only going to have a family party that following Sunday when we was Ordained.
Well, the night of the 27th, we knew the tournament would be over by around 3 p.m. on his Birthday, so I called Ty into my room and told him of the plan I was thinking and asked if he'd help me carry it out.
Ty was like a kid in a candy shop!!
We have never had a surprise party for any of the kids, and seeing as it was a big day for Bub, I thought it would be fitting.
So, Ty and I grabbed some invites from the cupboard and ran them around to a few of his close friends on his B-Ball team.  Once we knew they could all make it on such short notice, we then ran to Walmart and bought stuff to make a cake, plates, cups, and treats.
I'm not sure what possessed us to make the next purchase, but we happened to walk past the posters and saw a Justin Bieber one.  Ty made a snide remark.....like all the boys do when it comes to him, and next thing I knew, it was in the cart!

The night of his party, I sent Garrett off with Trav to buy some pizza.
While they were gone, the boys came.
We shoved all of them in the pantry.
I wish I would have had a recording of that!  It sounded like a bunch of girls, giggling.
I had to keep telling them they would blow the whole thing if they didn't stop!
When Garrett walked in, he set the pizza down on the counter and immediately started to dig in.
I told him to wait, and go grab everyone a paper plate from the pantry.
When he opened that door, 3 arms stuck plates in his face and he jumped back and screamed!
 
How does the Justin Bieber poster work in all this chaos?
They played a game where they had to take turns trying to get each of the other boys to laugh.


Whoever was the last one standing, got a poster.....that they thought would be awesome, until they opened it.
Sawyer won the prize and they were all dying!
Somehow, after the party, we were still the owners of that thing.  I'm not sure why he didn't take it home!
Ha, Ha!
 Garrett was ordained January 1st.  Great way to start off the New Year.  So awesome to have family there with us to support him and stand in the circle.  We barely fit in the Bishops office. 
Even my Grandpa was able to be there, which meant the world to us.
Yesterday, he passed the Sacrament for the first time.
He was so nervous, his stomach was upset and Trav had to go rescue him from the bathroom before the opening Hymn finished, so he'd be ready!
He looked very handsome in his new suit and did a wonderful job.
Our Bishop had given me the opportunity to share my testimony in his office just before Garrett was ordained.
I hadn't planned to share anything yesterday, until I got that "Heart beating out of your Chest" feeling and couldn't sit there any longer.
Watching him pass the Sacrament, I got to thinking about that little Bubba of ours.
From the beginning, I knew he was special.
He is a stubborn soul, and has always been very aggressive and determined.
He is always, ALWAYS, up for a good time and is a very social kid!
Parents of his friends have told us numerous times how much they love Garrett.
I sat there yesterday, remembering a time when I picked Garrett up from preschool and took him to a park.
When we pulled in, I noticed how busy and crowded the playground was.
I immediately said, "Oh Bubba, it's so busy here.  Let's go find another park to play at!"
Without any hesitation, Garrett pointed his 4 1/2 yr. old finger at me and said,
"Mom, you're taking away the opportunity for me to meet someone."
What?!!!
I knew then that Garrett would be a leader.
I knew he'd always have friends.
He hasn't changed to this day.  He is not afraid to talk to anyone.
As the Bishop said that day in his office, "Garrett will go places, and do great things!"
Happy 12th Birthday, Bubba.
We love you and are proud to call you our son!


There is one kind of robber whom the law does not strike at, 
and who steals what is most precious to men:  Time.
~Napoleon I, Maxims, 1815




1 comment:

Franklin Times said...

This is such a special post! He looks handsome and is a great kid! Keep up the good work :)