Saturday, December 31, 2011

Auld Lang Syne - 2011

As I was waiting for the Ball to drop in Times Square, I got to thinking.....what on Earth does Auld Lang Syne mean anyway?  So, I did what any person with a burning question does anymore.....I turned to google!  A good translation of the word is: Times Gone By.  Perfect title for this post.....seeing as it's really January 4, 2012 already and I'm just getting around to catching up on this poor little blog.  Because I'm so far behind, I had to reset the date, in hopes of this being the final chapter of our 2011 Burke Family Journal.

Life got away from me.  Laundry was piled high, dishes were stacked, and the Christmas Tree was beginning to make our home smell like something died! I figured now that all of that was taken care of, it was time to take a look back at what we did that whole last month!

At the first of December, it became necessary for my Grandpa to move into a care facility.  Talk about tough.  It was becoming harder and harder for my Grandma and Uncle to care for him on their own.  I can't thank them enough for all of the time they spent in his behalf, so we could delay the inevitable as long as possible.  I called Grandma the night before he was to be checked in.  I will never forget that conversation.  Because of Grandpa's Alzheimers, they hadn't been able to sleep in the same room for a few years.....no one would have gotten any sleep!  But that night, as Grandma and I talked, she got choked up as she told me she had brought him in to bed with her for one last time here on Earth.  Can you imagine?  They just laid there holding hands all throughout the night.  I love that.  The next day was super hard.  Grandpa didn't understand exactly what was taking place, and Grandma struggled leaving him there.  I went to visit the next day with Julia and Austin.  As I walked in to see my sweet Grandpa there with other Military Vets, I was humbled as I realized each of those men had served our country at one point, and were now in the same position my Grandpa was in.  I had to leave the room to gain my composure.  The reality of it all was a little overwhelming at first.  To see my Grandpa adjusting to it fairly well, and enjoying the activities they had for him, helped to calm my emotions a little. Julia sang and danced for a small crowd of gentlemen that had been drawn in by the kids.  They were like magnets the second we entered the room. We had a great visit. As I left, I could see my wonderful Grandparents through the blinds of the window.  There they sat once again, hand in hand.  
  I have tried to make it up there once a week to visit.  We bought a small Christmas Tree for his room and decorated it with all of his Great-Grandchildren's pictures.  Grandma brought him to our home on Christmas day, so they could spend it with family,  then she and I drove him back late that night, got him in his jammies and tucked him into bed.  What a blessing it was for me to do that for him.  Grandma came back and stayed at our house that night. Nate came home for a family wedding, so we all went up to visit Grandpa after that.
One of the nurses that cared for Grandpa those first few days, asked Grandma what Grandpa had done in his life.  Grandma told her that he was over the Bureau of Land Reclamation, and had been a Bishop and Stake President.  The nurse smiled and said, "I knew he had done special things.  He always stands up, shakes peoples hands, and gives out hugs."  Funny how his most special qualities haven't been lost to this darn disease.  I once heard Alzheimers referred to as, "The Long Good-bye."  It is definitely that, but how grateful I am to have the time to love him, help him, and be with him.  I love this amazing man, and his cute, little, amazing bride.

One day in the midst of all this new change, I sat down to open my email.  There waiting for me, was an email from Becky.  She is a daughter-in-law to my other family.....the Cooper's.  Becky had read my blog post on our little Kuj.  As I began to read her words, they were filled with love and understanding of what we were going through in losing him.  Becky is an incredibly talented artist.  Attached to her kind words of comfort was the most amazing gift of love I dare say I have been given.  From a picture I posted of Kuj, she drew and captured him better than my Nikon could ever dream of doing.  I can't thank her enough for sharing her God-Given talent with our family.  I immediately sent it off to printing and framed one for each of the kids rooms.  Thank you Becky.  May the Lord always bless you for your goodness, and for reaching out to us.
Trav and I celebrated our 14th Anniversary on the 13th.  I cannot even believe that.  I didn't think I could ever love him more than I did that day, 14 years ago, but I truly do.  It was my year to plan, and let me tell you.....that's not an easy feat with a newborn.  Romantic getaway places don't want you coming in with a diaper bag and car seat in tow!  But, I managed to fanangle our way into one of the Cabins at the Alaskan Inn, since it was on a weekday, and I reserved their biggest one.  They weren't about to turn us away!  Ha, Ha!  We snuggled Austin and watched a movie....
doesn't get much better than that!
(First Date - Feb. 15, 1997. Love that his Mom made him tuck in his shirt to go out with me!)
Don't be jealous of my hair.  Seriously.

Christmas Celebrations were also combined with the boys playing basketball at the Syracuse High School Basketball game during half time, and down at an AAU tournament where Garrett's team won 2 of the 3 games they played, and Ty's team won the Championship!
(Those pics somehow didn't make it past being loaded onto Trav's phone!)

 Julia had her Nutcracker Ballet Recital.  Her teacher told me she is the "Little Mother Hen" of the group.We witnessed a little of that for ourselves that day!  Love her!
And.....last but not least - Christmas.
I don't love when there isn't snow for Christmas.  Doesn't seem like it really is, without it.
No snow conditions put a little damper on our Christmas Eve Snowshoeing tradition.....but leave it up to Uncle Spencer to pull through on the outdoor recreation!!
Stephanie's family was kind enough to let us use their family cabin up Mt. Timpanogos.
There was just enough snow, on a hill hidden from the sun, for us to do a little sledding.
We had lunch, Clogged the toilet (that's another story for another day, and no.....it wasn't me!!!), made some memories, then headed home to read the Christmas story as a family and leave our treats for Santa.

Once again, Santa found us.....and we were spoiled!  Trav made the kids open presents one at a time this year.  They weren't thrilled about it....and neither was I for them!  But, I have to admit, it was nice to be able to get pictures of their surprise and to see it all for myself as well!
Sorry kids, that idea may stick!
Our Christmas Break was a little busy for my liking, but we were together, none-the-less, and that's all that really matters in the end.

Looking back over 2011 I feel a great sense of gratitude.  Sure it had it's up's and down's, but for the most part, we were truly blessed.  Prayers were answered. And, we are all happy.
Here's to 2012.  May it be as kind.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

So glad to read your update! Beautiful photo that Becky painted!!! She truly is talented.

Rachelle said...

I'm sure you know how much that post meant to me. My mom was placed into a facility right after Thanksgiving after a bad fall. We brought her home right before Christmas, but things continue to be difficult, and I know that a permanent placement isn't far off. My heart is heavy, but I am finding solace in a lot of the things you described. I am so glad that you had a wonderful Christmas. I hope we can run into each other soon!!!!