Monday, April 23, 2012

That Still Small Voice.....

Early this morning I had one of those experiences that keep you thinking all day. One you want to write down so you never forget. I've had promptings several times in my life.  I've followed them, and been grateful I did every time.  But, I realized today, promptings come in different forms.  I've heard that a lot, but actually experienced it for myself. 

There are thoughts that will come to your mind, or feelings in your heart.  Often they come quietly and give you time to ponder and make the choice as to whether or not you are going to act on that feeling or thought.   Other times however, they come as a literal voice in your ear, seeming so loud that you have no choice but to get up immediately, and act on that prompting right then and there.

After this morning, I have now experienced that twice in my life - where a voice spoke so clearly to me, I could never deny it happened.....

Years ago, while babysitting for my neighbors (a house full of boys, mind you!), the boys told me that their parents had taught them a Family Home Evening lesson using candles and matches.  To this day, I cannot recall what the purpose of that lesson was, and why they used the candles and matches, but I remember the boys thinking it was really neat, as they showed me the candle sticks and matches up on their hearth. I listened as they told me all about it.  Shortly after that, I left for a minute to the restroom.  When I returned, I came to the room to find the boys had lit the candles and were running around the family room with them.  I startled them by saying, "Guys, you have to blow those out!!  What are you doing?!"  When they heard me, the two older ones blew their candle out.  The youngest got scared and dropped his candle out of his hand.  It landed on a stack of newspapers under the arm of their fabric couch.  Within seconds, that stack of newspapers was a ball of flames.  That's when I heard the voice, loudly in my ear tell me to "Pick up the Stack of newspapers and get it outside!"  Without hesitation, I scooped the stack up from the bottom and with flames shooting upward, I ran the stack outside to a small pile of remaining snow and doused the flame.  We all stood there for a minute in silence, trying to comprehend what had just happened.  My thoughts quickly turned to, "Oh my word.......how am I going to tell the parents?!!!"  If I didn't, the boys would and I certainly didn't want it to come from them!  When they returned home, I somehow mustered up enough courage to tell them what had happened and they were obviously grateful their home and family were safe, and were actually very apologetic that they left all of those things out for the boys to get a hold of.  I did have to get on my hands and knees with the boys and run ice cubes along the carpet where they had spilt wax to peel it up, but that was nothing compared to what could have been.  I have never forgotten that experience.  I have gone back to it in my mind several times over the years.  My first instinct at a young age would NOT have been to pick up that burning stack of newspapers, without the help of the Spirit, the outcome would have most definitely been different that night.
 

This morning could have easily been somewhat the same.  When we built our home 8 years ago, Trav surprised me with the 4 poster canopy bed I had been wanting to buy for a long time.  They delivered it shortly after we moved in. We loved it til a few months later - when the mattress started taking shape to our bodies.  They sent us a new one, under warranty, which is what we have now.  It did the same thing, but we've just dealt with it all these years.  It seriously looks like a W!  The last week or so, my back has been complaining about sleeping on that stupid thing.  So, this morning, around 5:30, I got up, and decided to make me a bed in the recliner/rocker in our room.  Trav got up to go running about 6.  Austin was in our bed and kind of fussy, so he made him a bottle, wrapped him up and went on his way.  I curled up in the chair and was fast asleep in no time.  Right around 7:00, I again heard a loud voice in my ear saying, "Check your baby!!"  I sat up immediately and looked toward our bed. "Check my baby?!" All I could see was Austin's blanket.  I ran over to the bed to find his thick, flannel blanket doubled up over his little face.  As I removed it, he was breathing extremely fast.  I then found myself saying "Thank you!"  out loud in my room.  I am not a morning person, so the prompting had to come loud and clear to get me up that fast, and how grateful I am that it did.

I have been thinking all morning about these two experiences - realizing how quickly I responded to the loud voice prompting me to act right then and there.  But, how often does the Spirit speak to me quietly, prompting me to do something for someone or some thing, and I choose not to listen and ignore it?  I'm sure there are instances daily that I don't stop to take the time to listen or act. This has been a little wake up call, and I am recommitting myself to follow a prompting when it comes, whether it be loud or soft. Big or small.   Extremely Grateful today for the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

4 comments:

Megan said...

WOW!!!! So grateful you listened to that still small voice, and acted quickly! I too, am very grateful for the promptings I have received and would like to do better as well, to listen and obey when they come. So glad little Austy is ok.

Kristi said...

How scary! So glad that prompting came so distinct and your baby is OK.

tana hale said...

Sarah, Iam not surprised that you heard the still small voice, that is just the kind of person you are. So greatful that you are in our family

Franklin Times said...

What a wonderful gift! So glad to hear all is well with that adorable little guy. Thanks for the reminder that no matter how it comes, we must listen, and act. Luv ya