Sunday, February 3, 2013

Celebrating 15....

When Trav and I first got married, we came to an agreement. 
 Each year, we would take turns planning our anniversaries.
We also decided we would make a big deal about each of them.
At least going away overnight, if it was financially possible.
We have always felt it was important to make that time for each other
to celebrate our time together.
We look forward to it every year.
We have done some really fun things, 
and also experienced some real bombs!
One year, I planned dinner at the Inn at Temple Square.
Right after dinner I had a carriage ride waiting for us.
That was all great, until the flu set in as soon as we pulled in to the Anniversary Inn.
We were so, so sick.
We layed in the bed shivering with chills and dealt with
 the worst stomach aches ever.
We wondered how we were ever going to drive home the next day.
The news also came in that the boys were that sick at my Sis-in-laws as well.
When morning came, we checked out, got in the car, 
laid the seats back and talked ourselves into starting the car up and driving home.
We picked up the boys and went straight to Ogden Clinic to see the Doctor.

In our 15 years together, there have only been a couple that have turned out like that.
For the most part.....we have had great anniversaries.

If I had to choose though, our 15th will definitely be one of my very favorites to remember.

When the calendar turned to 2012, 
I started dropping hints to Trav to gently remind him it was our biggest year so far and that it was also his year to plan.....
so he'd know to think a little on the bigger side!
I had sights set on going back to Hawaii or New York.
I caught him a few times checking things out on travel sights,
and would stretch to see where he was looking at going.
One afternoon in September Trav called me from work.
"Hey, I want to talk to you about our Anniversary.  
A few of the guys here at work are planning to go back to Cancun in January.
(They had gone last year too, but we didn't because Austin was only 4 mos. old.)
They are going to the All-Inclusive Resort again and 
right now there is an awesome deal that includes the flights.
They say it's awesome!
Do you want to go with them and we'll celebrate our Anniversary then?"

I'm going to be completely honest here.
Usually I am pretty easy going and low maintenance.
But for whatever reason, because I had already kindof planned 
what I had hope we would do, and also because I had looked forward to just being Trav and I,
I will admit.....my heart sank with that phone call.
And then, I did what I always do when I don't want to look like a brat,
but hope for something else to happen - 
I went silent.
"Hello?  Don't you think that sounds fun?  I think it would be awesome.
They all loved it there so much last year, they are going again this year.
I think we should do it, don't you?"
Still a little silent - but I responded.
"Yeah, I guess."
"What?  You guess?  I would have thought you'd be excited and would want to go!"

My first thoughts were....."Cancun?"
I'm not much of a beach person and in my mind, that's all we would have to do there.
Second thoughts were.....
"It's our 15 yr. Anniversary,
and we're going to go be with a huge group of people you work with?"
I was disappointed, and it didn't take me long to realize Trav was too.
We ended the conversation rather quickly and decided to talk about it more when he got home.
It was only about 15 minutes after we hung up that huge feelings of guilt came over me.
My husband just called and offered to take me to Cancun for our 15th Anniversary
and I acted like a 2 year old child who didn't get her way. 
No, it wasn't what I had hoped for, or planned in my mind.....
but it was an amazing offer and he was excited about it, so I should be too.
I picked the phone up, called him back and apologized for my behavior,
and told him to book the trip.
He did - and it was set.
January 19th-26th 2013.

We have now been home over a week from one of the 
greatest vacations we have taken in a long time.
What a learning experience for me in judging the unknown!!!
Barcelo Maya, our resort, was beautiful!!
Amazing landscape and beaches.
Having time with Trav and spending a large majority of it
with the other couples who came,
was definitely the highlight.
We are so fortunate to work and associate with each of them.
We spent time relaxing at the beach, ate, ordered Pina Colada's, ate, swam in the ocean, ate
rented jet skis, ate, took a tour to the Mayan Ruins, ate, played games, mini-golfed and ate.
4 of us girls sang Karaoke in front of a large crowd and sounded absolutely horrible to the point someone yelled out begging us to sit down!!!  Classic!! We ate, went to Xel Ha (Shell Ha) to float the river, zip line, cliff dive, snorkel, swim with Dolphins, eat,
 and bike ride through the forest.
We went to Playa del Carmen to shop/bargain in the markets, tour around
 and..... you guessed it.....EAT!
(In the pouring rain, none-the-less.)
 
 
  Swimming with Dolphins - one of the Coolest experiences ever.....
thank you Trav for making this little dream of mine come true!!

Morgan's, Smith's, Edwards, McDonald's, Nielson's, Us, Garrett's
It's been an amazing 15 years!!
We about choked as we realized the next 15 could bring:
 2 Return Missionaries, some in-laws and even possibly......
Grandkids.
Oh my.
So grateful Trav has been the one by my side all of these years.
Love him.  Love our kids.  Love the life we have created.
Happy Anniversary Dear.
I couldn't have made a better choice for myself.

2 comments:

Franklin Times said...

AHHH! I am so completely jealous!!! That looks like so much fun. I have been wishing for a vacation like that for the past 10 years. I am so happy for you that you were able to go and have such an enjoyable time.
This year marks our 25th!! (Ya I'm old) and I am secretly hoping Rich has something like that in the works. Wishful thinking..

Megan said...

So glad you could go! I giggled as I read your initial reaction. Too funny!! Next year is our 15th anniversary...maybe I should start dropping hints..... :)