Monday, February 11, 2013

Meet Our Newest Projects......

Surprise Project #1
Just before leaving on our trip, I noticed the wall was wet towards the ceiling in a spot inside our garage.  I got Trav on it, and after doing a little investigating, we couldn't seem to find any source and just assumed everything was fine.  No water in the bonus room above the garage, no water in Julia's room that is close by, and no water in the study below.
So, we went on our trip without a care in the world.
The day after we got back, 
I was in the study getting some things made 
for a lesson I was giving at a Relief Society activity a couple of days later.
Austy came in and for whatever reason,
threw his binky as hard as he could at the wall in front of me.
It slipped down the wall behind the desk.
The only way to retrieve it was to go under.
As I got on my hands and knees to go after the bink,
I quickly realized the carpet was moist. 
The further I got, the wetter it was.
As I looked around the whole wall, I found the paint in the corner where
the study meets the garage, to be completely bubbled from the ceiling down to the floor.
Again, I called and got Trav on it!
He came home and it didn't take him long to find that a massive Ice Dam
had built up on the roof and gone completely over the flashing - 
thus causing the rush of water down between the garage/study walls.
We moved everything back and into the front room as much as we could so 
the carpet could be pulled back to dry out.
 
What a mess we are in!!!
The carpet is now dried and so is the pad, but the wall is one buckled project.
There is always a silver lining if we look hard enough....
and this time, I didn't have to search very long.
While we both stood staring at the problem,
Trav looked at me and said, "Now's your chance!  You've been wanting some more moldings.
It would be a lot easier to add something than to sand that all down, repair it, and re-paint."
So really, the water damage was a blessing!
I'm thinking along these lines for that wall......
 Now, if we can just get on it fast, 
so we aren't humiliated every time we have to answer the front door!

Surprise Project #2
Entered our lives Saturday, February 2nd.
Around Christmas time the kids and I started talking about another puppy.
Trav shut us down.
He was not thrilled with the idea - especially since we were leaving 3 weeks later.
"No one wants to watch a puppy.  There is no way we are getting one before we leave."
So, I stopped looking.
Well, in between Garrett's games on the 2nd, we were just home relaxing.
I happened to get on KSL....
and the rest is history!
This little face popped onto the screen and whether Trav wants to admit it or not.....
we were BOTH hooked!!!
 All I did was look at Trav and he replied, "Call about it!"
 There were already over 100 page views in the couple hours the ad had been posted,
so I figured he and the others were probably already gone.
But, when Karen answered she said that she had posted the ad and gone straight to a
baby shower and I was the first call she had actually been able to take.
I told her to hold him for me for a few mins. while
 Trav and I truly decided if we should get another dog.
We talked a little, weighed some pros and cons, then headed off to Garrett's game.
Just before half time, I started to worry that maybe she had thought I wasn't going to call back,
and would give the puppy to someone else.
So, again, I looked at Trav and he replied, "Go call her and make arrangements to get him."
We had initially decided to have her hold him for us as a Valentine's Day gift for the kids....
but then I realized that was 2 weeks away, he'd need his next set of shots,
 and we might as well just go for it!
We took Austin with us, left the 3 others at home and 
told them we had to run to Logan for work for a while.
We drove clear to Lewiston - almost to the Idaho boarder to pick up our new puppy.
She still had him and his brother left, and when we saw them side by side, 
he was still our pick.
Austy was so cute with the puppies, and ours kept climbing on us and licking our faces.
We knew for sure he was the one!
When we got home, Trav sat the kids down on the couch and told them we needed to talk!
I walked in with the puppy in my hands and said,
"Guys.....we brought someone to watch the Superbowl with us tomorrow!"
They sat shocked for a minute, then hands started grabbing to hold him and love him.

Meet Little Bentley......

 
 
 

   There have been quite a few days in the last week that I have wondered if I ought to have my head examined for having a puppy and a 1 year old.
Today being one of them!!
I have learned to kennel Bentley for an hour or so at a time while Austin is awake and
it's just the 3 of us home.
It's safer for Bentley and it's easier on my nerves!
But, he has brought a lot of joy to our family in just one short week.
Ty and I have both had some memories of Kujo pop up and make us a little sad, 
but the circle of life goes on and now we'll just have 2 to love.
He is a super good sleeper at night, which is a huge blessing.
Now.....if we can just get him potty trained quick, 
he'll weasel his way into my heart a little faster!
Welcome home Bentley.....

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ca-uuute!!!!! I will never own a puppy bu oh my word is he a cutie! I love the name too. Super jealous of the new mouldings too. Super sweet silver lining.

Megan said...

Love your idea for the moldings. Looks super classy! Bentley is super cute! I love the picture of Austy carrying him all over! Hilarious!

Grandma's Corner said...

Sarah so happy for your family, but glad you waited until after your trip:). Can't wait to hold him
He will grow up with Austy and the other children. I talked to Julia the other day, and she just melts my heart. Course the boys are my great big teddy bears. Love all of you.

Heather said...

Oh Sarah!!!! I'm dying over this! I did the exact same thing & got a dog.... 2 weeks later our sweet Zoe has a new home because my nerves got the better of me & my 2 year old seriously thought it was a bunny & could squeeze it to death!!!! Lol! My kids are doing better & are not so mad at me any more but boy it is a huge relief!!! I guess I'm truly not a pet person quite yet!!! Ahhh ;) love ya!!

Kristi said...

So fun to read all your updates!! What a FUN TRIP to Playa Del Carmen it looks like!!! Calton and I are going on our first trip away alone together since we had kids - on a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean!!! We can hardly wait. And I am also crossing off a bucket list item - SWIMMING WITH DOLPHINS!!! I cant wait for that... I've wanted to do that all my life!

That Bentley.... he is CUTE!!! Will he stay little forever?