Towards the first of June, we got word that our youth would have the opportunity to participate in a Cultural Celebration for the new Ogden Temple. Practices would be for close to 3 months every Wednesday night at our Stake Center until the performance took place Saturday, Sept. 20th. We were also told that a Member of the First Presidency would be in attendance and would speak with the youth before they performed. There was no question as to whether or not Garrett and Ty would participate. Trav and I both were set on them being a part of this. If for nothing else, I really wanted them to be there and feel of the spirit and to hear and be in the presence of the Leadership of the church. They were not super thrilled. They gave a little attitude, but......they went faithfully every Wednesday night after football practice. Towards the middle of July we became a little concerned as to whether or not they would let the boys come late after their football games to the main performance. Their leaders thought it would be ok, but the closer it got, the more it looked like they might not let them come late, even though they would get there a few hours before the performance. I was heartbroken. They had put in all the work and time, and might not be able to be there. I was really torn......The Temple celebration obviously was of the utmost importance, but at the same time, they had committed to their teams long before we even knew this was going to take place. Both Garrett and Ty are an important part of their team, and could cause a problem for the team as a whole, if they were not there at their games. On top of that, we are at the end of the football season and this is when teams qualify for playoffs. We have a wonderful Young Women's president that really stepped up to help Garrett and Ty. She emailed the head lady in charge and told her there were a few boys from our ward who would need permission to come late. She also was ready with her cell phone for us to call her when we were headed to the Dee Events Center after the games. She said she would get their T-shirts and save them a seat and would be ready on her end to help get them in.
The morning of the performance, as I drove to Garrett's game, I said a prayer out loud in my car. I told Heavenly Father that we had committed to our team, and also to this performance. I told him the team needed us and we needed to follow through with our commitment to be there, and to please bless the boys for their efforts in following through with each and every practice for the celebration from the very start. I asked him to please soften the hearts of those in charge in being willing to let them come a couple of hours late and still participate, as there were several boys from all over the Temple District who would be in the same position they were in needing to be there for their teams. During the middle of Garrett's game, that prayer was answered. I received a text from our YW's President telling me she was for sure able to get their shirts, saved them some seats and that permission had been given for the boys to show up late, but that they just might have to miss out on one of the 2 numbers they had practiced because they had to fill their spots during rehearsal. That was more than fine with us, and I completely understood. I was just thrilled they were going to be allowed to participate and be there to feel of the spirit.
Garrett played in Syracuse at 8:30 and Ty was the same time, but in Kaysville. I had packed the car with all of the clothes they would need, lunches, all the toiletries we would need to get them cleaned up and smelling the best we could in order to save time on running home to take showers.
We had made arrangements to take 2 other boys from Garrett's team and our Stake.
As soon as the game was over, the boys ran to the car, put on their church pants and
came back to the field so I could help them shampoo their hair!
(Jake Godfrey, Tate Moser, Garrett)
It was hilarious watching them wipe with baby wipes and dump their football water on their heads to wash up with shampoo! But......everyone can thank us for making them do that!
We drove up to Clearfield to wait to meet Trav and Ty.
When they pulled in, I washed Ty's hair in the parking lot and all of the boys took off to the Dee Events Center with Trav.
They all got in, and were able to get their shirts and participate in the first number.
President Monson was there.
The boys very favorite part of the whole thing was when President Monson walked in.
There were over 16,000 youth involved in this celebration at 1 p.m.
You can imagine the noise and the chaos with all of those teenagers in one building.
When President Monson walked in, it was immediately quiet as the youth stood in respect.
The boys said within just a second of him walking in, a few kids at the top started singing
"We Thank Thee Oh God For A Prophet"
"We Thank Thee Oh God For A Prophet"
and the entire place joined them in singing and honoring our dear Prophet.
I can only imagine the Spirit that was felt.
The boys said it was amazing.
(I was able to find someone online that recorded that moment, I'm so glad she did!
It's too big to show here, but here is a screen shot of
what she said and the comments that were made.)
It's too big to show here, but here is a screen shot of
what she said and the comments that were made.)
President Monson is not in good health and asked that
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland conduct and speak to the youth.
We were not able to be at the Dee Events Center, but we were able to go to our Stake Center with Julia and Austin and watch a live broadcast of the performance.
It was really great.
I cannot believe the amount of work and effort it took to get 37 stakes organized into a major program like that with all of them taking a special part in it.
Elder Holland started off by speaking to the youth.
"Really, Truly, my beloved, beloved young friends.....
you are the Hope of Israel.
You are indeed, Israels hope.
And we love you for that, and we honor you and are grateful
for the preparation you've made,
even at your young ages to be part of this Temple Dedication Weekend."
He went on to say,
"Your collective light - each of you individually being who you are and what you are....living the gospel and loving the Lord and keeping your light shining - as each of you come together...your collective light can change a darkened world. The life you live, the gospel you love, the experience of this weekend and the mission you have ahead of you for the rest of your life will be a light in the dark world. You will live that part of the mission that the Savior Himself said He lived, that he came to light a world with sadness and darkness."
Ty has told me more than once in the last week since the celebration, that he can't get the song
"Shine The Light" out of his head. I love that. I hope this will be a memory they hold dear their whole lives, and that they will remember always the feelings they felt in being able to go to the Open House, and walk the halls of the Temple and being able to participate in the Celebration and the Dedication of the Ogden Temple.
Grandpa Randle came around noon on Sunday, to watch Julia and Austin, while Trav, Garrett, Ty and myself all attended the Second Session of the Dedication.
Elder Eyring Presided and Dedicated the Temple and Elder Holland spoke.
The spirit was so strong.
What a blessing it is to live within the boundaries of so many Temples,
but especially to have been so involved in the Re-dedication of the newly remodeled Ogden Temple.
We cannot wait to go inside and do the work of the Lord.




1 comment:
What an awesome experience. I love that we have had the opportunity to attend so may temple dedications these past few years. It is such a blessing. I am so glad that your boys had the opportunity to participate. I was blessed to sing in my stakes dedicatory choir all those years ago when they dedicated the Bountiful Temple. It is one of my most treasured memories and the spirit there is something I will never forget. I am grateful that our youth get to have experiences like these.
Post a Comment