For Family Home evening the other night,
we took the kids to hike up Ensign Peak.
They had never been there before, and I was wanting to do something to get them
out and get them active for FHE.
I love the view from up here, and wanted the kids to see it.
While Trav and Garrett finished their Home Teaching,
I packed sandwiches, chips, drinks and treats in the boys back packs,
and then when they got home, we took off to SLC.
I had printed some info off about the history of Ensign Peak,
and so we stood in the church parking lot and I told the family about how
2 days after arriving in the SLC valley, Brigham Young and 7 other leaders of the church,
hiked the Peak and stood up there to plot out the City
and exactly where they wanted to build the Temple.
President Hinckley hiked there in 1996 and dedicated it as a sacred spot for the church.
We ran the numbers and realized we were standing where Brigham Young stood,
exactly 168 yrs and 1 day later.
Kind of a cool thought.
The boys, including Austy hiked that thing like it was no problem.
Julia and I on the other hand, had to stop to catch our breath a few times.
Trav stayed with us to make sure we were ok!
Trav and I actually hiked here on a date a couple of nights before
we were engaged, in Sept. of 1997.
When we got down from the Peak, we got in our car to hear the news
that Princess Diana had died.
We've never forgotten that.
These two are pretty cool.....
and this one......is fearless!
It was pretty busy, so we didn't stay to eat.
We decided to head back down and take the kids to see where
Brigham Young was buried next to Gpa Randle's old Law Office.
By the time we got down in to the city,
the gates to Brigham Young's grave were locked.
So, we walked down the hill and crossed the street towards Temple Square.
We took some pics, then sat on a wall and ate our dinner while watching
Brides and Sister Missionaries get their pictures taken.
Such a fun night.
And, if the kids are being honest......they enjoyed it too.
There wasn't one complaint and they had smiles on their faces most the time!
I hope that all of our kids will always keep their sights on the Temple.
That is one of my biggest desires!
No comments:
Post a Comment