Many of you have asked how Garrett and his little heart are doing! I just got off the phone with Dr. King at Primary's and I can't decide how I feel! Day 10 on the monitor, Garrett had a little episode riding his scooter home from school. He was able to get it recorded, and hurried home to tell me. When he came through the door, he was still experiencing some pain, so I sent another recording just to make sure we got it! After talking to the Doc, and after he read the recording, it was decided that his heart rate was high, but it was within normal range for a 9 yr. old boy who had exerted himself. We were instructed to keep the monitor till the 21 days were up and then send it back. Dr. King had just gotten the final recordings within the last few days, and after looking at them, he felt that we were back to square one, minus the fact that he feels pretty confident Garrett doesn't have anything life threatening. But, because we didn't get a concrete recording, or an episode where he was at a resting heart rate and then quickly elevated.....we are back to not having any REAL idea of what is happening. He is still not confident in calling it SVT yet. He says that if we start labeling him with that, he may be limited sports wise and in other areas for no reason, and insurance can be a pain. So, without really knowing as of yet, he hasn't been diagnosed with anything for sure. Dr. King was very kind and told me that he is very prone to listen to a "Mother's Intuition" and gave me his direct line to contact him in the event I don't feel comfortable with Garrett or any problems he may have in the future. For now, we are just on hold to see if these episodes start coming more frequent or other concerns come up. I hung up the phone and felt good, but also frustration kicked in! In all honesty, I was kind of hoping for the diagnosis of Tachycardia because they said it wasn't life threatening rather just more of an annoyance. So, in my mind, that would be closure and we would just deal with it and I would know for the most part he was okay. (I know, call me crazy.....isn't that a total Mom thing to think?) Instead, we are back to an uncertainty and somewhere in the corner of my mind is a lingering concern again! Our next step, though, if there are any more problems will be a stress test at Primary's. If not, we will just remain confident that we have receive awesome care and can trust what has been done is enough to know Garrett is okay!
10 years ago
8 comments:
WHAT? Dang it...so back on the montitor too?
How frustrating! I hate that feeling of knowing something is wrong and not knowing what! It is so stressful! I'm sorry you guys have to go through this!
I know how you feel. For about a year and a half Owen has been having issues with blood sugar levels going up and it affects his behavior so much and he is always in trouble at school and it is so hard. Just recently he has started loosing weight and so I took him back to the dr and still they don't have any real answers. Some think that he is diabetic or going to be but the specialists say just wait he could be or not. I just want to know what is wrong and get his levels under control to help him. It is so hard knowing there is something wrong and not being able to do anything about it!
My dear Sarah,
I am sorry, that is no fun. These doctors, monitors, and test can be such a blessing and such a pain because it is still so much a "practice." I know how it is to want them to know everything and to fix it. But there is only one who can really do all that, and so we trust with faith. I know, that is easier said than done. I will be praying for you and Garrett. Love ya
I wish you could have found out what is going on. So sorry, that is frustrating!
Hopefully you guys get some sort of answers, soon.
I am so sorry you have had to go through so much hoop jumping to not come out with any results. I sure hope everything comes out good and that he will be alright. It is a moms worst nightmare to think that something might be wrong with her child. I'm sure he is, he just wants to make sure you are staying on your toes.
I hate not knowing! I'm the kind of person that has to find out a reason or cause for everything, and it frustrates me when I can't. I am very glad to hear that they don't think it is anything life threatening. It sounds like you have some good doctors on your side. Hang in there!
Post a Comment