Over the last few months, my family has been dealing with the declining health of my sweet Grandparents. Grandpa Davies was diagnosed a few years back with Dementia. It has progressed to the point where it is now necessary for Grandma and Grandpa to leave their home and move in with my Uncle. They have lived in their home in Lake Point (Tooele area), pretty much their entire married lives. Infact, today is their 58th Wedding Anniversary. That home is all I have ever known. From the minute I step out of my car after I pull into their driveway, I smell thousands of childhood memories. Many happy days spent there. My Mom's two brothers, and all of us grandkids went through their home a couple of weeks ago, and divided things up that Grandma said we could have. I didn't love that.
While we were there, I came across a box that was labeled "Rosan." I didn't really get a chance then to look through it, but just knowing it was something of Mom's, and no one else claimed it, I picked it up and loaded it into the car. With Laurel's camp and everything else going on, I just got around to going through everything today. This is where the "Pity Party" festivities begin. Just when my heart had pretty much had enough of looking through pics. with Mom in them, I was drawn to her box. Little did I know what emotions would come with that. After Mom passed away, my Dad struggled with seeing her belongings around the house. So, Grandma and Grandpa came one day and boxed everything up. When I was in High School, Grandpa confessed to me that they couldn't bring themselves to give her stuff away, and that they had stored it all those years in their basement. Grandpa then let me look through all of her clothes and I loved it. What a blessing all of that was kept! Well, today, that box labeled "Rosan" contained a littler box labeled "Cosmetics." I opened it to find all of her lipstick, eyeshadow, foundation and bobby pins along with a couple pairs of shoes....that by todays standards would be pretty "Hip!" (We even have the same shoe size, I was so excited to learn.) One wouldn't think that make up and shoes would all be that big of a deal, but for me it was huge. If this isn't too weird to tell, I found myself opening up each container of lipstick and examining it closely for any sign of her. For those of you who have checked in to my blog for a while, you may remember a post where I talked about her perfume losing it's scent....well another bottle was found today, and boy, did I soak that in! I sat there with that little box for a while, and now I'm sad. Amazing that 24 years later, all of her things are here, just the way she left them, but she's not. You'd think after all this time, it would be easier and that I would somehow be over losing her. Dang, parts of me wish I was. I know I post about her a lot, but to be honest, not a day goes by that I don't think of her, and so sometimes I share that with all of you, forgive me. Life Stinks sometimes!
Do me a favor. If your Mom is around, take a minute today to tell her how much you love her and how grateful you are for her in your life. You'll be glad you did.
Okay, party's over. It's time for you to all go home!
I have baby blue eyeshadow and orange colored lipstick to go reminisce with!
9 comments:
That is such a sweet box of things to have been kept all these years. I think it is absolutely perfect that your carefully examined every piece for signs of your mom and I am so happy to hear you have more perfume. Thanks for inviting me to your "party." I am sure your mom was right by your side looking at her things with you!
I am sorry that your Grandparents are having a hard time, but it is great that for a few hours you got the chance to remember your mom. I know that everytime that I run across something of my Mom's mom, it gives her a big smile. I hope everything is good.
Thanks for the invitation. I loved reading your post although it was through teary eyes. Amazing how such simple things can have such power and meaning to us. I am positive she was with you as you looked through the "treasures" of her. I have something to share with you that I heard at Laurel camp, so I will call you tomorrow. Hugs
What a beautiful post Sarah. I often have my heart touched when I come to your blog! That is a wonderful credit to you. Thank you so much for the sweet reminder to cherish my mother. It also was a good reminder to me to be the kind of mother that is worth cherishing. I really needed that after this long summer day full of messy, bored kids! Thank you and I am glad you had today to cherish YOUR mother, even if it was only through memories.
What a wonderful thing you got to be able to keep all those get things of hers. I am so sorry that you had to go through what you went through, there could almost be no more of a feeling of loss although I know you have had many more. You are such a great person and mother, I admire you so much.
Wow, the memories I have of your grandparents home as well! I was thinking about a month ago I wanted to go out there and have a star party! I loved those! What a great box to find! I think of you often when I talk with my mom about things or ask her advice on things. How hard it must be not having yours around. I wish I knew her!
You amaze me, Sarah, I think you have more strength than you even realize. I'm pretty sure your mom is by your side frequently just admiring the woman you have become. My dad use to make me french toast when I was little, since he passed away I find myself eating it frequently, I think we treasure every little bit we can hold onto when we lose a parent. Thanks for who you are--I love ya and miss seeing you
I'm so sorry about your Grandma's dementia. I really understand how difficult that particular diagnosis is, and I know it must break your heart. I think you are definitely entitiled to a good pity party now and then. As far as the box of your mother's belongings, I think that is such a special and neat thing. I'm really glad you have the opportunity to have it in your home now.
Thanks for inviting me! I'll have to return the favor sometime :) I love that picture of your mom, you look a lot like her!
Post a Comment