Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Random Happenings

Every now and again we find ourselves in the right place, at the right time. This weekend was one of those. My cousins Joe and Carli just happened to have free tickets to Lagoon, and offered two of them to Trav and I (thank you, thank you Crane family!!!) I am ready for an amusement park any time of day.....I know, call me crazy. We had a blast, until Joe and Carli talked us into going on the Samarai and the Rocket......(one right after the other, mind you!) Joe gets a cheap thrill out of watching me go completely white and weak in the knees! I made it though, and here I am blogging about it! Thanks guys for a really fun night! After we got home that night, I put on my "Self-Proclaimed Professional Florist" Cap, and put together the bouquet for my neigbors Bridal pics. I was so nervous, but apparently it was just what she wanted and she ended up loving it! Prayers ARE answered, cause this one really made me question my abilities, but it all turned out okay!Now.....I find myself on our 2nd day of Summer and I'm questioning whether or not to find a summer school to enroll my kids! Don't get me wrong, I sure do love these little beings, but they almost didn't live to see the 2nd day of summer! Here's the story - I wake up yesterday morning to Julia yelling at the top of her lungs, telling the whole family to "Shut-up!" First of all, we don't say that word and we get put in a little time-out when we do! I quickly realized she was having a hard time sharing "Her" home! She is used to having the place to herself! If that was all that happened, I would have been thrilled. Just as I had thought to myself, "I need to find something to do with the kids today, to keep them busy," the phone rang. "Honey, what are you doing right now," He asked. "Just getting irritated with YOUR kids, why?" I replied. From the other end of the phone I hear, "I am by Echo Resevoir and.......I just ran out of gas, can you bring me some?" After I laughed my head off, I loaded the kids in the car and took off to rescue the Patriarch of our family! The pics. speak for themselves! Classic, seeing as I am the one who usually takes the jokes for driving with the gas light on too long!After we got Trav on the road again, I headed to South Weber to drop a shop vac off to my brother. He is at his in-laws until they can find a home, after just moving back to Utah. So, I get there, the kids get out and started playing, and my sis-in-law and I sat down in the kitchen and talked for about 2 hours. The kids were in and out of the basement and outside. Thinking I could trust my 7 and 9 yr. olds, I didn't go down to check on them. We decide to have Ella come sleep over, loaded up the van and headed for home. A little while later the phone rang and come to find out.....my kids (the 9 and 7 yr. old I thought I trusted), had broken a basketball hoop, a crib and ripped a hole in a Cabbage Patch doll. See now, why they almost didn't live to see today? Thoughts immediately went through my mind like, "What am I raising? and Who are these kids?" I found myself echoing the words of Sis. Hinckley, "How did a nice girl like myself, get in a mess like this!" I haven't been that mad in a long time. So, after I totally lost it, I sent them to their rooms, got ready and waited for Trav to get home. We drove Ella home, had a family discussion with Uncle Nate and Aunt Ally, where we told what we did, gave an apology, asked for forgiveness, and then took the damaged items home to fix! (Well, the kids went straight to bed, and their Father and I stayed up till midnight working on reparing our children's mistakes!) I have to say how grateful I was for the love their Aunt and Uncle showed them, I fear I wasn't as forgiving! It was such a fun day of summer I couldn't wait to start the 2nd! Which we did today, by showing up to swim lessons, finding out we were in the wrong levels, trying to switch and finding the classes filled. We ended lessons by getting our money back, and driving to So. Ogden to return the items we tore apart yesterday! Here's hoping day 3 is our day! Happy Summer all! How many days till school starts?



P.S. I do love them, I really do! And the positive in all of this is.....a lot of house work is getting done! :)

11 comments:

Megan said...

Oh, can I just say I am soooo glad you posted this! Really, glad. I have had the worst few days with my kids and I too have wondered what have I gotten myself into being a mom!! Crying, fighting, hurting eachother, "I hate you's" aplenty. What in the world? My kids are supposed to be used to being around eachother all the time. Anyway, you are not alone. Maybe something is in the air. Just find something fattening, find a closet, and hide out for a bit. Great, honest post! LOVED it.

Merinda said...

First of all, I am so glad that you got good use out of those lagoon tickets and that you were able to go with Joe and Carli. I know that they had a really great time so thank you. Second of all, your kids are just kids and everyone's does the same thing, well most everyone. Mine were definately not the exception. I remember having the same scenerio, the same discussions, and the same apologies. I think these are all learning experiences for everyone. You are such an awesome mother with so much on your plate and doing such an awesome job. I really admire you for all that you always do. And don't feel bad about wanting the kids to go back to school, I was never one of those moms that cried when her kindergardner went off to school, I was usually one of the ones in the back saying, "yes, one more down." Sorry if that sounds bad. We all do what we have to to survive. Love ya

Ally said...

Seriously, just know that I threw my daughter in the pool while EVERY one at Surf and Swim, looked at me like I was evil...and I am. Which is good because apparently, so are my children.
And the items are even better than before...what if I told you that they also broke a chair that needs to be repainted...would that work?

NcR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Franklin Times said...

I so remember those days of wondering "What the heck am I doing wrong?" But for what it's worth, your post made me laugh! Just think....Laurel Camp is less than a week away! Not a huge retreat, but a little one!

Kristi said...

Sarah you are great! I wish I was at Lagoon! I also LOVE amusement parks. I'm sorry summer has been so hectic so far. I hope it starts to get a little easier for ya :)

Heather said...

Still my favorite quote...Tyler "I broke something, Garret broke something, so we told Ella she should break something!" Unforgettable!

Ronda said...

Classic! I totally understand! I am amazed my kids are even alive and I am not behind bars right now! The frustrating thing is trying to keep them busy and entertained and the harder you try the LESS you want to spend a DIME on the little monsters! But I still love them! I must be delusional! => It gets better.... right? See what I mean..DELUSIONAL!

Amy Spalding said...

Sarah, this too shall pass-right? I keep telling myself that. I always look so forward to summer break...and then I'm done with it by the end of the first week. I admire your ability to see the humor in everything...it helps keep the sanity in place. :) For what it's worth, we can all empathize, and we all love ya! By the way, your flowers are AMAZING. If by some slime chance I get a girl, can I book you about 25 years in advance???

Deana Padelsky said...

Anyone who is a mom can relate to your "first day of summer" experience. I'll be honest there were days when I thought to myself... "What was I thinking when I was little and all I wanted to do when I grew up was to get married and be a mom?!!! These kids have ruined my life! Why did I do this?!!" Now that I am certainly in a different stage of parenthood I feel guilty for ever having those thoughts and questioning my choice of becoming a mother. They didn't ruin my life, they have made it better and helped me become who I am today. It has all been worth it! If I've survived not killing Kirk after 18 years then you'll do just fine.

Ed said...

Sounds all too familiar...we just started week 4 of summer break and I am counting down the days. Its a good thing I love my kids or we would be in BIG trouble!