Friday, March 12, 2010

Silver Anniversary -

Throughout the years, Anniversaries are often something Celebrated, looked towards with great anticipation, or something to be honored. Some are held in great esteem, such as a 25th or 50th, where big celebrations are held, or expensive gifts are exchanged. I find myself coming up on one of those big anniversaries. However, I'm not sure I have looked forward to it, honored it, or feel the desire to celebrate it for that matter. Tomorrow marks 25 years that our family has been without it's most special, key member.

That realization is hard to comprehend. 25 years without our Mom. What's even harder to comprehend, is the realization there could quite possibly be another 25 more to go, and even another 25 after that.

Sometimes after I make a post, I feel embarrassed and somewhat shocked at what I am so willing to share in such a public way. Not always knowing who is reading, or where they are coming from, or if I even know everyone that visits this site. Maybe I share too much. Maybe I should be a little more reserved and save some of my more personal thoughts for my own private journal. I have found for myself though, that I have learned from other blogs that I visit. Each of us has something to share, and because of that, those of us visiting, have the opportunity to learn and grow from what others are willing to give.

As this day has been approaching this week, I have debated whether or not to share a little experience I had recently. I haven't even shared this with my husband. I kept it to myself. But as I sit here now, I have realized, this simple truth my daughter taught me, is something worth all of us remembering.

Late one night, a couple of weeks ago, a lot of emotion I had been holding in, seemed to come bursting out as I rocked Julia to sleep. I didn't know she was awake, infact, I was ready to put her in her bed. Just as I was about to do so, one of my tears hit her cheek, which made her look up. When she realized I was crying, she reached up and wiped my chin. "Mommy, why are you crying?" Before I knew it, I found my 32 year old self admitting to my little 3 year old that "I missed my Mommy." She looked at me straight in the eyes, neither of us saying anything. After a minute or so, she wrapped her arms around my neck and said, "Mommy, don't be sad. Jesus is going to come and bring your Mommy. When he does, he will say, here you go, here is your Mommy." I love her so much. I had been praying for peace and comfort, and it was delivered through the love of my 3 year old, as I, her Mommy, rocked her to sleep.

The Savior Will come again, and when that day comes, what a joyous reunion will be held!

The gift given for a 25 year Anniversary is Silver. If you google information about silver it states that "of all metals, untarnished, Silver is the best reflector of light." I hope that when all is said and done, I will have lived my life as a "reflector of the light" Mom taught and shared with all she came in contact with. If I can grow up to be as she was, and is, I will feel accomplished. I long for the day when Jesus will come and say, "Here is your Mommy." Till then, I will continue to strengthen the Faith needed,
to live without her.

9 comments:

Heather said...

I know your mom would be proud of how you live your life! You are a great example to everyone! What a great reunion that will be! I'm sorry you're missing your mom!

Hillary said...

You are so good at expressing your thoughts and feelings. I wish I had that talent.

I almost lost my mom to cancer a couple of years ago, and I remember wondering what I would do without her.

You are a great mommy, and it shows through your children. Your mom would be proud of you.

Journey of the Davies said...

Thank you for sharing these things. I have learned a lot from your blog and have felt the spirit several times as you have shared different experiences. Thank you. I know that Heavenly Father really does answer prayers and this is just one of may examples of ways he does it.

Franklin Times said...

I for one, am extremely grateful for the words and thoughts you share. You are a "reflector of light" to me and all those who know you.
I know the emotions these anniversaries can bring, but yet through the tender mercies of a loving Heavenly Father.. he gives us moments like the one you had with Julia. That was so precious, thank you for sharing. Thinking of you my friend, and once again reminded how glad I am we are friends. Keep the faith :)

Merinda said...

Wow, the knowledge that a 3 year old has amazes me and is so true. She probably won't even remember saying that to you when she is older, but is something you may never forget. Hope you will be ok through this time in your life.

Jenn said...

Sarah,
I don't know if you remember me or not. We went to high school together. I saw the link to your blog on your facebook page. Your blog is BEAUTIFUL!!! I sure enjoyed reading it! Thanks for opening your heart and being willing to share to strengthen others! You have a beautiful family! I hope life is good for you!

Jennie Tueller : )

Megan said...

Sarah...that post was precious. Thanks for sharing...all of us out here in blogland love you for it. You ARE an awesome Mommy...and you have three shining little ones to prove it.
I love Julia!!! I want a daughter just like her one day.:)

Mom said...

Sarah,

Your blog is always wonderful.
It's great to read about the boys and Julia and all the happenings.
You have every right to miss your Mom! It always makes me wonder why she had to leave your family so soon?
She is most proud of you and your beautiful family--we are! You're a lovely Mom, wife, daughter and friend. You have such strength and faith! An example to us all!
Love, Lavonne

Wesley said...

Dear Burkes,
Sorry you are facing this challenge. It sure doesn't seem fair. As we have thought about it, we are confident that circumstances will not be as austere as they now seem - that this will be a bump in the road, but not a debilitation. We think that the fasts, prayers, and your personal righteousness will bring you tangible results and blessing. We love all of you.
Wes, Kay, Debbie White