The results are in and apparently....
this is the new face of MS.
I had been calling the Dr.'s office for the results of my Spinal Tap and Blood work since last Thursday, and was unable to get anyone to call me back. Thanks to my dear and long time friend Paige, who used to work with me at the Neurology Clinic, I was finally able to get my results today after she took matters in to her own hands and texted the Doc!!
Thank you Paige, you have been a lifesaver lately.....
I owe you, and love you!
They worked me in this morning.....
which told me right there I was headed for news,
otherwise, he would have just told me over the phone.
Dr. V came in, sat down, and got straight to the point.
There are 3 levels of MS diagnosis.
No MS in Brain, spinal fluid and blood= No MS Period!
No MS in Brain but suggestive in the spinal fluid=Probable MS.
MS in the brain and Spinal Fluid=Definite MS.
I fall in the Probable MS Diagnosis, because my Brain is clear. However, other than my brain being free at this point, I will be treated as though it is full blown MS because it's in my spinal fluid. Dr. V feels like because we are catching it early,
it is best for me to start taking the shots of interferons immediately.
Doing this may keep it at bay.
I prepared for this.
I thought about this and how I would react.
I told myself it would be fine and I would get through it.
But until it was actually said out loud and
we began discussing the possibility of any future babies....
and side effects of flu like symptoms after daily shots,
along with possible swings of depression -
I decided I wasn't ready to hear this news,
and I'm not sure I feel fine about it.
I'm scared. I'm frustrated. I'm overwhelmed.
How's that for honesty?
Obviously I am only in the 7th hour of
playing this out in my mind.
I'm sure things will look and feel better, even by tomorrow.
But for now, my heart hurts and so does my head.
So many emotions.
Because Dr. V is not covered by our insurance,
we will be heading in to another neurologist the first week of May.
I am actually excited to get a second opinion.
Dr. V. is on the anti-side of things when it comes to my beliefs.
When it comes to science, I trust him whole-heartedly.
When it comes to the spirituality of having children,
I was not in love with his answer.
So, back to my knees I go, in search of more answers.
Back to my knees for more peace and healing.
Thank you for all of the love and support.
I'm sorry to have to send you all here to get the full update,
but I took a few phone calls today,
and can't seem to keep my emotions in check right now.
I figured this might be the easiest way to fill you all in.
I owe you that much for all the prayers and fasting you have done in my behalf.
I am forever grateful.
Dr. V told me today I should thank my nephew
for helping me catch this early.
So, thank you Zachy,
and
Thanks to my Father in Heaven for...
guiding this every step of the way.
this is the new face of MS.
Thank you Paige, you have been a lifesaver lately.....
I owe you, and love you!
They worked me in this morning.....
which told me right there I was headed for news,
otherwise, he would have just told me over the phone.
Dr. V came in, sat down, and got straight to the point.
There are 3 levels of MS diagnosis.
No MS in Brain, spinal fluid and blood= No MS Period!
No MS in Brain but suggestive in the spinal fluid=Probable MS.
MS in the brain and Spinal Fluid=Definite MS.
I fall in the Probable MS Diagnosis, because my Brain is clear. However, other than my brain being free at this point, I will be treated as though it is full blown MS because it's in my spinal fluid. Dr. V feels like because we are catching it early,
it is best for me to start taking the shots of interferons immediately.
Doing this may keep it at bay.
I prepared for this.
I thought about this and how I would react.
I told myself it would be fine and I would get through it.
But until it was actually said out loud and
we began discussing the possibility of any future babies....
and side effects of flu like symptoms after daily shots,
along with possible swings of depression -
I decided I wasn't ready to hear this news,
and I'm not sure I feel fine about it.
I'm scared. I'm frustrated. I'm overwhelmed.
How's that for honesty?
Obviously I am only in the 7th hour of
playing this out in my mind.
I'm sure things will look and feel better, even by tomorrow.
But for now, my heart hurts and so does my head.
So many emotions.
Because Dr. V is not covered by our insurance,
we will be heading in to another neurologist the first week of May.
I am actually excited to get a second opinion.
Dr. V. is on the anti-side of things when it comes to my beliefs.
When it comes to science, I trust him whole-heartedly.
When it comes to the spirituality of having children,
I was not in love with his answer.
So, back to my knees I go, in search of more answers.
Back to my knees for more peace and healing.
Thank you for all of the love and support.
I'm sorry to have to send you all here to get the full update,
but I took a few phone calls today,
and can't seem to keep my emotions in check right now.
I figured this might be the easiest way to fill you all in.
I owe you that much for all the prayers and fasting you have done in my behalf.
I am forever grateful.
Dr. V told me today I should thank my nephew
for helping me catch this early.
So, thank you Zachy,
and
Thanks to my Father in Heaven for...
guiding this every step of the way.
21 comments:
Oh Sarah!
I know we do this! Please let me know what I can do to help you! I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers!
We love you!
We love you guys! We are so sorry to hear that the news wasn't better. Let us know when we can take the kids for an overnighter. Love you and hang in there, we are praying for you.
We love you Sarah! You have been on my mind constantly. When I saw you and waved yesterday and today I didn't know if I should stop and ask. You are in our prayers! You are amazing and inspiring!
dear aunt Sarah,
I found it so ironic that this news would find you on the same day that we lost Kate. Crazy how this date turned our lives upside down..
What can I tell you that would make you feel better? Nothing but I'm sorry, and that I hope you know how you are loved and admired by so many.
One of my favorite scriptures is Mosiah 18:9
"Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—"
sometimes enduring to the end seems a little overwhelming..but I know that the end result and prize is worth it.
We love you.
I wish I had the perfect words for you right now but all I can think to say is I am sorry that the news was not better.
I love you and I will keep you in my prayers.
I'm glad Jeff called me last night and I was able to talk to you! I've been waiting for news like it was my news to be had! I'm so sorry that MS is what this is. I'm sorry this is what you have to go through! I wish I could take it all away, this sickness, the hurt, the sadness...all the emotion! I'm so so sorry! You do know that I'm in this friendship for life though, so you better be letting me know what you need! Love you!
Sarah, you and your family will continue to be in my thoughts, my prayers, and my fasts. I know if it is meant to be, you will get all the answers you so desperately seek right now and will find peace in whatever you may have in store for you.
Love you Sarah! You are a constant in my thoughts and prayers. I know that you are a beloved daughter of our Father in Heaven and He is watching over you and loves you very much. I know you will hear it a ton but let us know if you need anything. Even if it is just a shoulder. :)
Sarah
You know I love you and will be with you every step of the way. Keep your chin up sister, you have many people on your side, including the ones in heaven. I put your name in the temple yesterday when I was there. You have my number, use it!!!
Sarah-
I stumbled across this by accident browsing Facebook. Obviously I had no idea the heartache and worry you must be going through lately. We will be praying and thinking about you and your beautiful family!
(cousin) Rachael Carlson
Sarah,
I'm so sorry~
I love you my friend~
Sarah, I found your blog on facebook. We are so sorry, you are in my family's prayers. If you ever want to blow off some steam in DC you have a place to stay!
(cousin) Chrissy Hammond
Sarah,
I am sorry. We have been thinking about you and hoping for the best. It is amazing how the Lord blesses us. I am thankful you have shared your experiences. You seem so strong and brave. You can do this and you will!
Tyson and Tara Olson
Sarah:
If there ever was any person that could handle this trial and conquer it, it will be you. You have such a strong personality and faith in our Heavenly Father that it will see you through. Our Heavenly Father loves each of us and has things for us that we do not understand or necessarily want to embrace. Do all you can do for yourself and your family and then literally turn it over to him and he will help you find joy in this trial you are facing currently. It sounds like you have already experienced some of this.
At one time years ago when my children were little I, too, was tested for MS. I recall going to the doctor because I had had several "episodes" that couldn't be explained. Heidi and the other kids were quite small. As I was going through the tests at the McKay, I was so nervous and scared. I can relate to what you are going through. Fortunately, my tests came back negative.
We all have things that are hard to face and deal with. They come at different points of our lives. Here is a quote that I find strength in:
Far better it is to dare mighty things; to win glorious trimphs, even though checkered with failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in that grey twilight that knows not victory or defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
You are one that will enjoy "glorious triumphs" based on your faith and determination.
My love to you and gratitude for the friendship you have offered to Heidi as well as the rest of our family.
Love to you,
Annette B.
Oh, Sarah, I'm so sorry. I know we Randles suck at keeping in touch, but you and your family are in our prayers right now.
We love you!
Sarah and her Beautiful Family,
I am so sorry to hear you news. If there is anyone I know that can beat this test, it is you Sarah. You will be in my prayers, and if you need a shoulder to lean on; it is my turn.
Sabrina
Sarah, your blog is beautiful! You definitely don't deserve this! I admire your strength and courage and know that you'll have the best attitude through it all. Keep us posted and please let us help with anything!
Tous-
I LOVE YOU! You are seriously a rock. Hang in there. You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.
Sarah~ I am so sorry to hear about all of this.. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!!! If there is anything I can do for you or the family please let me know.. Good luck with everything I will keep checking in with you or with Leroy so I don't bother you.. We luv you guys!!!
Wesley said...
Dear Burkes,
Sorry you are facing this challenge. It sure doesn't seem fair. As we have thought about it, we are confident that circumstances will not be as austere as they now seem - that this will be a bump in the road, but not a debilitation. We think that the fasts, prayers, and your personal righteousness will bring you tangible results and blessing. We love all of you.
Wes, Kay, Debbie White
April 18, 2010 at 7:34 PM
Post a Comment