Ok, we have been a little consumed around here lately with Dr. visits, tests, and not so fun diagnoses! So, I thought it was time to recap a few of the random going-on's with our family! I'm sure many of you have been on the edge of your seats wondering what the results were of our March Madness Brackets. Well, this year, Morgan Pavement decided to add a losers bracket along with the winners bracket. As luck would have it.....our family holds the record for both!! Ty took first for the whole thing!! So, he got the pizza party, and the coveted March Madness Basketball "Trophy" for Dad's office. Sis? Well, seeing as Hannah Tannah (Montana) was out close to the first..... she eventually landed in very last place for the whole bracket! So, along with a piece of pizza and a bread stick or two.....she got the "Not-so-coveted" toilet seat "Trophy!" Jeremy at the office, took one of the old toilet seats and Lysoled the heck out if it (or so he says!) and that became my daughters trophy for her Dad's office. It was almost more than I could handle having her touch it, but she was thrilled at the thoughts of winning! So, there they sit in Trav's office side by side til next year......the basketball and the toilet seat!

On a totally different note, the kids have been begging to go to Disneyland again. They can't understand why we can't just pick up and go. We tried to explain to them how much it costs to go there. We broke it all down for them - gas, lodging, food, Disney tickets, Lego Land tickets, souvenirs, etc. Not totally grasping the concept of how much $1500 is, Trav came up with a brilliant plan. He went out to the garage, found a tin, made a slot in the top and came back to present his idea to all of us. The kids were asked to bring their piggy banks. Trav and I even got our wallets and all the spare change we could find. We then talked to the kids about saving for missions, college, and marriage. We also reminded them about the importance of tithing. We helped each count their money and separate allowing 10% for tithing, 20% for the other areas and then we told them that whatever was left was for them to do with as they please. That's where the tin came in to play. That little tin is now our family "Trip Box." When we get money, after we save where we are supposed to and pay the Lord, whatever is left each time can go in the trip box if they choose. We decided on a trip (which they chose to be Disneyland), and how much it would cost. Once we reach that in our box, we will go. They were all so excited. I was too, if the truth were known. Looking at all of our money on the floor, I was as sure as the kids were that once we counted it up, we would be packing our bags and heading out!! Unfortunately, once it was all added up and put in the box, our excitement dwindled just a little! We had a whopping $134.00!! Disney.....we are coming for you, it just might be a year or two! At least we have something to look forward to, and for a moment, it took our minds off other things!
7 comments:
I love it! I can just see you especially thinking you were on your way! That's what I love about you! Wish you were joining us! Maybe another time!
See what good parents you are? Sounds like a good FHE lesson! Your kids will appreciate the trip that much more too!
Congratulations on the trophies. I love Julia's and it is even better that her name is the first one on it.
The vacation tin is a great idea. I think I will try that with my family. Ever since we moved from California, Emily has been letting me know that you can still go the Disneyland even if you don't live close. Whenever someone from school goes she tells me about it, and well, to tell you the truth, I miss it too.
Good luck with the savings, and thanks for the great idea!
Was there a cell phone dangling from the middle of the toilet? Oh wait, no I got it!
Look at the Burke Family go. I think you also need an awesome parents Trophy! Really, that teaching moment will stick with them forever. And when there is enough money for Disney, it will mean even more to them. Way to go on March Madness and way to teach your kids money management. Can I send TJ over? :}
I totally love that idea. Instead of just saving as parents, you got the whole family involved which means it will mean more to them in the long run and be more memorable.
We're right there with you on the Trip Box!! Although it may be more than a couple years....Drue has to be at least 4, I can't stand the thought of taking a baby!
That is such a good idea to save money as a family.
Post a Comment