Monday, August 29, 2011

Lessons Learned Through Cheerleading

Football Season is in full swing here at our house. I love this time of year, and look forward to it (for the most part!!).  Fall is always one of my favorite times of the year.  I love the cooler weather (still waiting!), the changing color of the leaves, and going to the boys games.

Games started 2 weeks ago. Last year was our first of both Garrett and Ty playing. We lucked out with the schedule then!  Trav and I were both able to see both games.  This year, we have a few that overlap.   I don't like that....Inevitably one of us always ends up missing the "big" play.  That week, Garrett played first here in Syracuse.  As soon as his game was finished, we jumped in the car and headed to Brigham City to catch as much of Ty's game as we could.  I hurried and parked the car along the curb, walked around to the other side to help get chairs and the kids out, only to hear the entire crowd Cheering "Go Ty! Go Ty!! Go Ty!!!"  I stood at the top of the hill, looking down to the field, dropped everything in my hands to see Ty running his heart out for a touch down and not one kid from the other team even close to catching him.  As he made it into the end zone, I screamed, jumped, and cheered "Way to go Ty!! Way to go Buddy!!"  The crowd was going crazy for him too.  Team members met up with him and did their little chest bump congratulatory moves and ran back to the field to try for the extra points.

Later that night, when we were all home talking over the awesome game day for both boys, I happened to ask Ty if he could hear me cheering from the top of the hill.  His answer....."No mom, I couldn't see or hear you." I then told him I was screaming super loud and jumping up and down and so was Garrett.  I went to bed thinking about that that night, and I realized an important lesson.

We are now less than 2 weeks away from having our little one.  The nerves are starting to set in along with a ton of excitement and anticipation.  I have a few friends who have either just had babies or are expecting right now too.  One friend posted on Facebook about how sick she has been and how she is so grateful to have her Mom there to help her with her kids and house.  She finished the post with "Sometimes a girl just needs her Mom."  I have had those same thoughts and sentiments the last few weeks, as I am nearing the end of our pregnancy.  And if I'm being totally honest, I fell asleep that night with a little tinge of jealousy that she had the option of "Mom" being there. We learned last week that our little buddy has turned himself into breech position and the cord is now around his neck.  That is not what you want to hear this late in the game.  I have to go in every 4 days to be monitored and make sure he is tolerating everything ok.  We are praying he will turn and all will be well.  We just want him here safe.....and soon!

That night of Ty's game, as I thought about how loud I was cheering, I couldn't believe he didn't see or hear me at the top of that hill.  I wished so bad he could have, so he'd truly know of my love and support.  What I learned by that experience was this.....so many times in my life I have wished for and prayed that Mom would be there for certain things.  I have hoped and prayed that my Father in Heaven would be there to help lead, guide me and cheer me on.  As I thought about that, I realized that many times, I have probably been in Ty's shoes, where I couldn't hear or "See" them there cheering me on.  Now being on the top of that hill myself, I gained a different perspective as a parent.  No one in that crowd was more proud of Ty that day than his own two parents. No one cheered louder.  No one wanted more for him in that moment than Trav and I did.

As we prepare for our baby to come, no one will be cheering louder for him as he makes his way into this life than the 2 of us.  And, I know from experience on this one, Mom and my Father in Heaven will be there cheering this set of parents on as he enters into our lives.

Little did I know when I tried out for Cheerleader in 7th grade only to get cut in the first round (that's a hilarious story for another day!), and was devastated I didn't make it.....that my day would come when I would actually be "Head Cheerleader" for many, many years.

5 comments:

Ronda said...

I love ya babe. I wish I could give you all the desires of your heart.

Rachelle said...

So excited for you!!!! I can't wait for an update. I can definitely relate to missing your mom. Even though my "mom" is still here, she couldn't remember I was even pregnant. It hurts....a lot! Just know there are prayers for your little guy's safe arrival coming your way. Hang in there!!!!!

Megan said...

I wish your mom was here to clean your house for you and help you with your new baby, too. **sigh** You are a great momma and your kids are very lucky to have you. You make a great cheerleader and I so want to hear about your tryout in the 7th grade!!!!

Hillary said...

Sarah you are one of the greatest people I know!

There is no better cheerleader than a mom, and I am sure your mom is cheering you on. I think we would be surprised just how many cheerleaders we have on the other side if we could see them.

I hope everything goes great these next couple of weeks. I am praying for you.

Grandma's Corner said...

Sarah, I know a little bit of how you feel about mom's. I see my mom struggle everyday and it makes me sad to have to watch it. But I wouldn't trade it for the world. But I do pray she won't have to suffer too long. Fifteen years has been long enough. I love and pray for you too.