My Dad picked the boys up from school every day so they could have a chance to see Austin before football practice. We had sitters lined up for Julia, but there was some nasty little flu going around the neighborhood, so we opted to keep her at the hospital with us each day. I worried how she would be, being trapped in that room all day with us, but she was an angel when she realized the tv was controlled by the push of a bed button, "Pop's Pop" was right across the hall - and she didn't have to twist Trav's arm twice to take her there, French fries from the cafeteria were awesome, and baby brother loved every single picture she colored for him. Plus....she could snuggle her brother just about every time she asked!
Our last night in the hospital, after my dad and the boys left, Trav and Julia headed down to the cafeteria to get us some dinner. They had been gone about 10 mins. when the Birth Certificate lady came in. I was talking to her and filling out forms when all of the sudden, we heard screaming and crying from the hall. Next thing I know, the door to my room opened with one of the nurses holding Julia's hand and asking if she was my daughter. Julia immediately ran into my arms screaming that she had lost Daddy. The nurse proceeded to tell me that some guy had brought Julia up to the Labor and Delivery floor because she had an "I'm the Big Sister" wrist band on her arm. Next thing I knew, my cell ph rang - it was Trav. He sounded like he was in the biggest panic and asked if I by any chance had Julia with me. When I told him she had just walked in, I could hear the complete relief in his voice.
Come to find out, they were both walking around the cafeteria (which is on the main floor 4 floors down), when Trav went one way, thinking Julia was with him, and she went the other way, thinking he was right behind her. When they both turned to see the other, each found themselves alone. Trav looked all over and couldn't find her. Julia took matters into her own hands and immediately panicked. She took off down the hall, found the elevators and let herself in! Another guy got in with her and saw that she was crying, noticed her wrist band and asked if her mom had just had a baby. When she said "yes," he luckily #1 was a good guy, and #2 had the presence of mind to take her to my floor and ask for help. Whatever possessed her to get on that elevator I'll never know, but you better believe we had a massive talk with her about what we do when we get lost over our french fries......that by that time - no one felt like eating! When Trav made it back to the room, he looked like he was sick. Julia was still crying and wanted to know why he left her. Apparently, after she took off to find me and Trav couldn't find her, he flew into a panic and started yelling her name all over the cafeteria and the lobby of the hospital. A hospital employee heard him and asked him if she should call a "Code Pink" which would put the entire hospital on lock down, with employees stationed at every door until she was found. That's when he called me. Had I not had her, that was the next step. My nurses were telling me the same thing at the same time, if that ever were to happen again. I hate those situations as a parent......the fear that over takes your body is like no other. 3 weeks later, Julia is still bringing it up. I'm just so grateful we were being watched over....that could have been a whole different story, considering she ran right past the main entrance and got on an elevator with a stranger.
We had to stay the full 48 hrs. because of the Strep B, so we spent the next day packing up, finalizing tests on the baby, and checking out. Around 3:30 Sis and I started getting Austin dressed to take home.
Call me crazy, but as I was double checking the room to make sure we got everything, I started to cry. I saw my hospital gown hanging on the door and Austin's hospital receiving blankets laying in his bassinet, and I just couldn't comprehend that being the last time we would have that experience. How do you ever know you're done? Trav says he knows.......I, on the other hand am dragging my feet a little on that decision. I suppose if I knew it would take another 5 years and have some heartache involved.....I may be able to echo his feelings.....but at the same time, I'd say waiting for Austin was completely worth it.
We made it home safely and everyone spent the night taking turns holding and loving our new baby.
And then, ........Part 3.
5 comments:
Love, love, love that photo of your three biys. Sooo sweet!
Sorry, boys! :)
How fun for her to get to spend the time with you and the baby at the hospital. Not so fun for Travis to lose her though. That is the one of the scariest moments for any parent.
I lost Emily at the SD Zoo once. Joe and I stopped to watch the orangatangs, and Emily moved on without us. It was horrible. I am forever grateful to the cute grandma who helped her find me.
Can't wait to read part 3 :)
Sarah, I'm so happy that here is here safely! He is beautiful. Thinking of you and hoping you are well.
HUGS!
You are the most beautiful new mom ever! Look at that amazing picture of you two. What an adventure you have been having!
Post a Comment