Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Dear Mom,
                              
    Today marks 27 years since Heavenly Father called you home. It’s amazing how this day always brings with it so many memories and feelings.
    Raising my family, I am reminded daily of you and the impact you had on my life in such a short time.  Walking through Disneyland with my own daughter recently, sweet memories of doing the same with you flooded my mind.  Riding It’s a Small World, walking through the shops, driving the cars with you by my side, or simply taking our pictures in front of the castle. Loving on my baby and quietly singing your lullaby in his ears while adding his name to the words, where ours once were. Supporting my boys in their sports as you did with Nate.  Baking goodies with them at the counter, and sacrificing the beaters, so that they can understand their goodness.....even though I’d die to eat them both myself! Teaching them how to love one another, even though at times they can’t stand to be in the same room at the same time. Loving my spouse every day, and being grateful I have him to be with. Buying Christmas gifts throughout the year and then forgetting I have them, so when the day comes.....the kids get way more than they should have or than I planned on giving! The only thing I think I didn’t get the chance to learn completely in the time we were given, was your love for Diet Coke. I’d still take a Rootbeer any day!  Don’t worry, Nate and Spencer did you proud and their wives are now carrying on your legacy! (Ha, ha!  Had to add that Steph and Ally!!)
    I miss you every day of my life.  Every day.  Every so often, Heavenly Father sends a tender mercy to remind me you’re always there, and always have been.  Just in the last couple of months I have had quite a few of these instances.  In January, there was a knock at my door.  There stood my sweet visiting teacher - not even on her monthly visit.  As I invited her in, she handed me a cd.   Having lost a family member herself recently, she had been listening to a talk titled “What’s On the Other Side.”  She had thought of me while listening one day and decided to share it with me.  I was so touched.  I put it in the car and a few days later, found myself driving aimlessly, just so I could finish and listen.  May sound crazy, but I think if I had the spiritual eyes needed, I would have seen you sitting right there next to me, as I learned more about exactly where you are and what you’re doing each day we’re apart.  You felt that close.  I needed that, and in turn, have passed it along to others who I felt would need and want it as well. What a blessing it has been to have others around me listen to the inspiration to remind me you are there.
    We’re in the process of finishing off our basement.  Wouldn’t we have had fun picking out everything I need to make it look awesome down there?  Garrett thinks it’s his apartment!  He’ll be the first one scared to death his first night down there!  Can’t have him feeling too cozy, right?  Anyway, while I was down there cleaning through all kinds of junk, I found many more treasures and tender mercies.  Grandma saved every ounce of my school work growing up.  You know this.....as she saved yours too.  I decided rather than throwing it all out, I’d go through it piece by piece and keep the things that were worth keeping.  Little did I know there were some very special articles in there, that the Lord also helped us save when the water heater leaked and ran in the direction of this box.  I found a receipt of items you bought at the grocery store just a few days before you left.  So glad to know that my buying habits are hereditary!   Pantyhose, butter and lots of goodies.  My kinda girl Mom! Did you buy control top too?!!
 
I found the letters you kept from when Nate and I were fighting so long, you sent us to our rooms for a ½ hr and made us write down the reasons why we loved each other.  Looks like Nate did what he was asked, and I did whatever it took to hurry up and get out.  But, he probably owed me more than I did.....where he was older.
 He should know better, right?!
  I found a Valentine you wrote me, telling me you loved me and that you were glad I was your daughter.  I cried when I read that.  What a keepsake.
  And then, the treasure of treasures -  The note that was delivered from the Flower shop just days after you were gone that went along with the glass flower basket I had in my room all those years.  I wrote about that a lot during my school years when I had to share experiences that meant the most to me. I called Dad yesterday to make sure that basket was still in my closet.  It was, and he brought it to me.  I just may fix it up and put it in Julia’s room.  You would love that, wouldn’t you?
    Mom, there is nothing I want more in this life than to be the kind of Mother you are to me. I will to try to be a little more patient with my children.  I will stop yelling at the refs at their games for you.....and because Trav got after me last night too! You would love him. Couldn’t help myself when a mom stopped the game, went out on the court and started disputing the number of fouls her son had with the ref.  I have an inkling you would have had a few words to say about that one too!  I will teach my family the gospel.  I may even try my hand at teaching them the piano again.  I’m sorry for all of the times I gave you grief when you tried to teach me.  Don’t worry, I’m paying for it now!
Thank you for that gift.
 I try to make time to play at least a couple of times a week, on your piano.
    I long for the day when we meet again.  A Mom is everything to a child, young and old.  Just because you’re gone, doesn’t mean that has changed for me.  I love you with all of my heart.  Please continue to watch over my children, especially during their times away from me.  I tell them often that you are there. And please, always stay close to me.  I need you now more than ever to make it through this critical time in raising my family.
    I love you Mom, with all my heart and I thank my Heavenly Father for the
 blessing of being your daughter.
                                                                      
                                                                               With Love,
                                                                                     Sarah

8 comments:

Ally said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Anderson's said...

She sounds like a wonderful mom, just like you. I know she is very proud of you and I am sure our Father in heaven let's her peek in on you more than you know! Thanks for making me cry ;)!

Megan said...

How sweet that the floral shop sent you the arrangement anyway. That is just so neat! I am sure your momma is proud of you and all that you are and have become. What a sweet post! I sure love ya!!

Heather said...

Sarah im sobbing my eyes out right now.... Don't worry your mom is so proud of you. Your kids are so lucky to have you as their mom! I will never forget sitting on the hill in 6th grade & me saying something about your mom... I had no clue, then Jenny Chiles clued me in! I remember feeling so bad! I have always looked up to you! You are a strong person! Thank.you for sharing! Love you!
Heather

Kristi said...

Your posts about you Mom always make me bawl. You have such a way with words and it always just tugs at my heart. What a special thing to find those little memories & keepsakes from your Mom as you were cleaning out your basement.

Kristi said...

Your posts about you Mom always make me bawl. You have such a way with words and it always just tugs at my heart. What a special thing to find those little memories & keepsakes from your Mom as you were cleaning out your basement.

Angela said...

What a beautiful post, Sarah. Your words always touch my heart. That was a beautiful tribute to your mom.

Grandma's Corner said...

Sarah, what an awesome tribute to your mother! You are as wonderful as it sounds like your mother was.
I admire you so much. Please know you are LOVED.