Monday, November 12, 2012

In Honor of You......Grandpa -

The last couple of weeks have brought with them great sadness and heartache, 
yet amazingly, a great deal of spiritual uplifting and love.
On Thursday, October 25 - I got the kids off to school, then headed off with Austy in tow
to meet my little Brother up at Grandpa's.
When we got there, he was sitting on his roommates bed, just looking around.
His face lit up and he greeted us with a hug.
Grandpa was talking about things I hadn't heard him talk about in a couple of years.
He kept asking to just go home to Lake Point.
Spencer and I got him into the recliner on his side of the room, wrapped him in a blanket
and tried to get him to eat.
The only thing he'd accept was a few drinks.
As we sat there, Grandpa sobbed and sobbed.
He kept motioning his arms like he was trying to gather something in and eventually,
he managed to say...."I just want everyone together."
Then, we all cried.
Something was so different about Grandpa that day. 
He was more lucid than he'd been in a long, long time -
 it was as though he knew things were about to change.
After a while of talking, Spencer and I helped Grandpa into bed.
After we wrapped him up in his Utah Jazz blanket,
the hospice nurse, Rhonda came into check on him.
She sat and talked with us for a few minutes.
I asked her then, when alzheimer's patients stop eating like he had,
what the amount of time would be left with him.
At that point, she told Spencer and I that she felt he wouldn't be here by Christmas.
That wasn't the easiest thing to hear.
She was the sweetest lady and was very comforting in her words.
She told Spencer and I that it was easy to tell our Grandpa had done great things in his life,
and had touched many people.
Never were truer words spoken.
It soon was time for me to go pick up Julia from school.
I will never forget that last time I saw Grandpa awake.
I told him I had to go and a tear rolled down his cheek.
I hugged him and we kissed.
Then, we locked eyes and told each other we loved each other.
As I moved away, he reached up, touched my earrings and said,
"Hey.  Those look real nice."
It was so hard to leave that day.
I told him I would be back and he said, "Ok," as he wiped his eyes.
 
 Three days later, Sunday Oct. 28th, Grandma called me.
 I could tell something was bothering her.
"Sis, Uncle Brent and I went in today to visit Grandpa.  
Hospice told us they feel we only have 1-2 weeks left with him."
Grandma was understandably upset, as was I.
We had all known it wouldn't be long, but that seemed too soon to let him go.
I went to bed that night with Grandpa on my mind.
I woke up 2-3 times with thoughts of him and memories. 
As they came, I typed them into my cell phone so I could keep them in my journal.
The next morning, Mon. Oct. 29th, I got the kids off to school then hurried to get ready.
I had planned to go see Grandpa again until it was time to pick up Sis.
As I was packing the diaper bag, my phone rang.
Uncle Brent was on the other line with the news that Grandpa had stopped swallowing and
they felt at that point, he wasn't going to make it through the night.
My heart sank.
Why on Earth was this all happening so extremely fast?
I knew then, that I was going with the intentions of staying as long as I could with Grandpa.
My loving husband took the day off and ran home to take care of everything there, 
so I could just go and be with him.
I called Nate and Spencer and told them the news.
Spencer made arrangements to get to Grandpa as well,
 and Nate waited to hear if he would need to catch a flight from Oregon.
When I got to Grandpa's room, Grandma was in the recliner next to his bed.
I've talked about the sacredness of that room - that day it was completely magnified.
I couldn't control my emotions as I walked to his bedside to love and kiss him and let him know I was there.
He made some noise as though he was trying to respond, but was unable to do so.
He was completely unresponsive the rest of the day.
I immediately went outside to call Nate and Uncle Brent.
They both made the decision to come up as well as Joe and Carli.
Nate's flight was scheduled to land at 3:50 later that afternoon.
By the time Spencer left to get him, the Hospice nurse was
worried Nate might miss being there.
We left a text for him to call as soon as his flight landed.
Within a few minutes the call came in from Nate as he was
running up the terminal to get out to Spencer.
The nurse had me place the phone by Grandpa's ear,
so that Nate could plead with him to hold on.
Such a tender moment to hear my brother on the other end.
 When Nate finally made it and walked into the room,
it was such a relief to know Grandpa had waited.

For whatever reason, Grandpa held on for another 7 hours or so.
Whether he was waiting for those on the other side,
 or just merely enjoying his remaining time with us,
we're not sure, but it was a huge blessing to have that extra time with him.
We all surrounded his bed and sang his favorites - 
Bill Grogan's Goat, I know That My Redeemer Lives,
How Great Thou Art and Love One Another.
We reminisced about our lives with him.
We joked, we laughed, we cried, we hurt.
But, Grandpa got his wish........we were all there together.
Just a few minutes before 11 p.m. Nate offered a family prayer.
I sat on the bed and held my Grandpa's hand, while Grandma held the other.
It was a true honor and privilege to do so as he entered into his Heavenly Father's Kingdom.
We all envied the reunion he was having at that time, and because of such,
 had very tender moments as well while sitting there with him after he had passed.

I was able to help the hospice nurse care for him until they took him from the room and 
Spencer was given the honor of taking care of the flag that was placed over him.
Such an incredible thing to witness.
We left that night just after 1:30 a.m.
Nate and I went back home with Grandma and Uncle Brent,
so we'd all be together that next day to make arrangements for the funeral.
One of the honors the Veteran's Home does for the residents when they pass,
is to play taps over the speaker while everyone within ear shot of the whole building
stands at attention.
Because it was such a late hour when we left that night, they played Grandpa's
Taps around 11 that next morning.
We all drove up to be there.
As we walked in, I went straight to Grandpa's room.
Somehow I was hoping to feel him there.
What I found was another beautiful tribute.
On his bed, was the American Flag, placed in his remembrance.
I sat with the flag in my arms and cried.
 
 Then, over the speaker we heard,
"Ladies and Gentlemen, we'd like to honor our beloved Resident Gilbert Davies.
Please stand as we do so."
Then Taps was played for Grandpa.


With so much family out of town we waited to hold
Grandpa's services until this last weekend.
Everything turned out beautiful.
A fresh blanket of white snow covered the ground as the sun peaked through the clouds.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It felt good to see Grandpa finally get to go back home to his beloved Lake Point.
The Lord has greatly blessed us with tremendous love and support the last couple of weeks.
He truly does not leave us comfortless.
I have been told a few times since Grandpa has been gone,
 how amazing people think my relationship is with him. 
They for one reason or another were not that close with their own Grandparents.
I feel it is one of the greatest gifts I have been given to
know them and love them the way I do.
Aside from my own Mom and Dad and my Husband and Children, 
Grandma and Grandpa are my whole life.

Til we meet again my sweet Grandpa Davies.......I love you with all my heart.
Thank you for everything you have taught me, done for me, and blessed me with.
I have no doubt the Lord's greatest blessings will be yours.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Sarah, I read this with tears in my eyes. I knew he had passed but reading your words brought back some memories I had of him and he was such a great man. What a great reunion that must have been for him to see your Mom again! Extra angels are on your side now, Sarah. You are one amazing person. You have such strength and faith.

Megan said...

What a beautiful post, Sarah. I am so glad you were all able to be together. I was not close to my grandparents they way you are\were to yours and you are right; what a special gift you have been given to have them in your lives. Your grandparents are amazing people and no doubt love you so much. Thanks for sharing. :)

Rachelle said...

The video left me in tears. What a beautiful tribute to who is surely a wonderful man. My heart was deeply touched by your words. Love you!