June 21-22, 2013
------------------------------------------------
In 2012, Trav ran Ragnar with a couple of his sisters and friends.
------------------------------------------------
In 2012, Trav ran Ragnar with a couple of his sisters and friends.
The kids and I were at the finish line to meet them and cheer them on.
I remember thinking the atmosphere at that finish line was amazing,
and know what my husband had just accomplished was even better.
I will never forget dropping him off in Ogden a few hours before they were
to be at their starting point to meet the other van, and begin their portion of the run.
Everyone had a little excitement about them as
they loaded in their car to head up Ogden Canyon to get started.
I hugged Trav goodbye and got in my car and drove the kids and I back home.
Over the next few hours I received texts and phone calls
updating me on where they were and how they were doing.
A twinge of jealousy started to set in.
I was envious they could do it.
I was envious they WERE doing it.
I was mad at myself for not doing it, along with thinking I couldn't do it.
I had hardly ever even run a mile.
In school, I always had a Dr.'s note, because to run the mile made me cough and itch -
they tested me and said I had Exercise Induced Asthma.
I think sometimes that became just another reason not to do it.
Yes, I hated that I coughed and itched, but in the long run.....not a huge deal.
So, standing there at the finish line waiting for Trav and the team to run through,
I made up my mind that I could, and would do it, if everyone else would do it again with me in 2013.
Several of my good high school friends had since ran marathons, halfs, Ragnar, etc.
I couldn't say the same, and it bothered me.
I wanted to prove to myself that I actually could do it!
Within a couple of days after they did Ragnar, the phone call came.
It was Trav's Sisters saying they wanted to sign up again and this time, be a family team!
I immediately said I wanted to do it.
Trav was a little worried about me doing this with the whole MS issue,
but everyone assured me they would give me the easiest leg.
Not necessarily the least mileage, but the easiest course.
Before I knew it, we were signed up and paid to do Ragnar 2013.
Now, I wish I could say I trained and trained and trained.
I did not.
I freaked myself out the first night Trav and I ran a mile.
I was proud of myself for doing it, but the next morning I had quite a bit of numbness in my legs.
That scared me and actually made me wonder what in the heck I had just agreed to do.
I took things a little slower from then on, so I wasn't as prepared as I had hoped to be.
The morning came.
We packed our littlest kids up and headed to Jen and Ryan's house.
Their oldest were watching our kids for us while we ran. We were so grateful!
Once the kids were settled, we got in Heidi's Yukon and
headed over to our starting point in Hunstville.
Being runner 7 meant I would be the first to run from our van.
As we got closer to the starting line,
I got a little pit in my stomach.
I wasn't quite sure I was going to be able to do this.
My first leg was just about at 5 miles.
I had prepped everyone before, that I would be the slowest of the group,
and would probably be walking and running my routes.
There were so many people around.
So many people.
Such an awesome atmosphere. Everyone in team shirts,
team vans with all kinds of things written on the windows, Honey buckets everywhere, and people cheering and clapping and encouraging each other along!
After collecting the things we needed from the Ragnar staff,
we headed over to the starting line for me to get ready.
I crossed the street and got in line, so I'd be ready to grab the wrist band at the exchange
from Van 1.
Ronda had recently purchased a Megaphone for her track team.
Travis took this opportunity as they stood across the street from me, surrounded by hundreds of people, to pick up that megaphone and begin singing to me....
"Girl Look at that Body, Hey! Girl Look at that body, Hey!!!"
People were dying laughing, and I could not hide my embarrassment and laughter.
A lady standing next to me, looked at me and I said to her, "Is that your husband?"
She immediately said, "No!"
An older gentleman next to Trav thought that was absolutely hilarious, and asked if he could borrow that to yell embarrassing stuff to his poor wife waiting to start her run as well.
They had a hay day with that thing!
Within a few minutes, my runner came around the bend,
threw his wrist band on my wrist and off I went.
Within a couple of minutes down the road, a man came along side me.
He ran next to me asking all kinds of questions.
"Is this your first time running Ragnar? How are you feeling? You're making good time.
What made you want to do Ragnar? Who are you here with? Etc."
For the first few minutes, I was wondering what in the heck he was doing.
Why all the questions? He was obviously in awesome shape and
was by no means needing to run my pace.
He easily could have been finished with that leg by then.
I began to ask him the same questions, once I realized he was sticking around for a bit.
"Have you ever Run Ragnar before? Is this your first time?"
I didn't see his answer coming!
"I've done a few Ragnars before........I'm actually the CEO of Ragnar!"
WHAT?????
"Why in the heck are you running with me?!!!"
He then went on to tell me that he likes to run a few of the legs, to get out and meet the people,
see what brings them out to run Ragnar, and to get a feel of what they can do to make it better.
Inside I was dying. I knew I couldn't keep up the pace if he stayed with me like that,
and I felt like I couldn't stop if I needed to and walk.
How do you stop and walk when the CEO of the whole thing is running next to you?!!
Our van pulled up shortly after, to give me a little water.
Trav got out and ran along side us for a while......
I'm sure he was wondering who this guy was as well, running with his out of shape wife!!
I introduced the two to each other, and Trav quietly told me to keep a pace that was ok for me,
not to feel pressure to keep up with him.
Eventually the van drove down the road, and Mr. CEO thanked me for talking and told me he'd meet me at my exchange for a picture or up at Snowbasin where he'd be working the run.
I was a tiny bit relieved when he ran on, only for the fact that I was able to pull back just a little, but I will say......I was quite proud of myself, I was still running and hadn't stopped to walk at that point.
I'm pleased to say, I never did stop running.
I crossed the finish line and slapped the bracelet on
Heidi's wrist and off she went to run her first leg ever in Ragnar!!
After Heidi, it was Ronda's turn.
She is a machine, that girl!
Next came Joe Mattson.
Trav works with Joe and they have become great friends.
Joe is such a good guy.
If you're ever going to run Ragnar......you want Joe in your van.
So easy going and kind, yet runs like it doesn't even bother him!
Joe just recently joined the church, and I can't help but think it had something to
do with some of Trav's late night runs and those full moons we saw along the way....
Must have helped Joe decide he wanted to be a member just like Trav was!
Ha ha!
Ryan took us from the base of Trappers loop, up to Snowbasin.
Jen had her own fun with the Megaphone at that
point yelling sweet nothings to Ryan as he took off up that hill!
Ryan was a maniac on that run......so glad at that point I was runner 7!
Trav took over for Ryan there, running trails around Snowbasin.
He did awesome.
I loved watching my husband do this.
He was a machine too. So proud of him.
While Trav was on his run, I ran into my CEO buddy and we took a pic!
After Snow Basin we were finished til our next legs which would be after midnight.
We loaded up in our car and went back to Jen and Ryan's in Morgan.
Shay and Sawyer had made us an awesome meal.....
those two will own a bakery one day, I'm sure of it!
We tried to get a little bit of sleep in, but it felt like the second we closed our eyes,
the phone call came that we needed to head to our next exchange!
This meant I was up again.
I ran us up and over the back side of East Canyon.
That was just after 1 a.m. if I remember right.
It was a little chilly, but felt good with the run.
I ran that whole thing too, and I'll be honest.....I thought I would die on that last hill to my exchange,
but soon would realize what a whimp I was after watching Ronda and Joe run Ragnar Hill.
We didn't take any pics at night.
We tried to sleep in the car while everyone was out on their run, but that was near impossible.
Kinda makes for a long night, but fun as well!
When we finished our night runs,
we ended up asleep in our sleeping bags at a park somewhere in Heber, while our other van ran.
I don't think sleep has ever come so fast, and so easy. It felt like we were asleep forever.
I got up, changed clothes and left for my last run of Ragnar.
That was the hardest one.
Running on little sleep and just running again period.
When I saw Heidi standing at the finish line waiting for me, and realizing I had completed what I set out to do......it became an emotional experience for me.
Trav met me with a huge hug and told me he was proud of me.
It felt so good to have that under my belt.
Heidi went as far as she could go......she was having major issues with her foot just a couple of weeks before Ragnar and the Dr. questioned whether it was even in her best interest to run.
Jen was there to spell her or me when and if she was needed,
which was nice to know we had back up.
For what Heidi was dealing with, she looked awesome and did amazing!
Jen is a maniac. I wish I could make it look this good and easy!
She finished Heidi's leg and then turned it over to Ronda for the start of Ragnar Hill.
Nate was one of the volunteers we provided to help run the race from the sides, and was able to work Ragnar Hill and be there to meet Ronda in the middle of the hill, where Joe took over.
I gained a massive amount of respect for Joe and Ronda watching them tackle that hill.
Talk about endurance and strength.
There is nothing quite like witnessing the will/mind power that took!
We cheered them on from the car windows, and stood off the side of the hill where we could to spray them with water to cool them down and give them energy to keep going.
They were truly amazing!
Ryan took the downhill slope into Park City,
which seemed like that should be a piece of cake......holy cow!
I can't imagine the strength it took to keep himself from flying down that mountain.
It was straight down, and I'm sure his legs were on fire the whole time.
He gave us a little peep show to start things off.
Thanks for that Ryan!
Trav took off after Ryan and ran a huge dirt hill up behind Park City High School, around the back of the hill, and then back towards the High School and on to the finish line.
I cannot even express how proud I am of him.
It was harder and longer than the race stated it would be.
It was hot and late in the afternoon, and we were so tired and worn out.
To finish as strong as he did and to do it in the time he did it in, was absolutely awesome!
It was a cool experience to be waiting at the end of his run with our entire team,
see him come around the bend, and then all of us running with him as we crossed the finish line together to the cheering of the crowd!
Purely Awesome.
Van 2
Ryan Skidmore, Jen Skimore, Joe Mattson,
Travis Burke, Sarah Burke, Ronda Mills, Heidi Muirbrook
Van 1 and Van 2 - Our whole group
How grateful I am that I signed up for this experience.
Not so much every mile during the whole thing did I have those same feelings,
but in the end, to accomplish that is an amazing feeling.
More so, watching your family and friends experience it right along with you is just as awesome.
I was in awe at the human spirit and the capability of our bodies.
Some of the runners you'd see along the trails were inspiring -
all shapes and sizes, all races and all forms of abilities.
Even though Trav refuses to be part of the Ragnar Car window sticker groupies,
I am glad to say we have participated!
What an incredible opportunity shared with friends and family.
No comments:
Post a Comment