We went to bed the night before way too late,
leaving us all sleeping in til late and lazily waking up.
My cell phone rang as I lay there trying to talk myself in to
getting up and starting some chores with the kids.
It was Heather.
She saved the kids from work that morning with her offer of swimming at Cherry Hill.
We debated back and forth whether or not it would be warm enough to swim.
We checked the weather sites and decided, "What the heck. Its summer. Let's go, cold or not!"
I hurried and packed our things and loaded the kids in the car.
We wouldn't have much time, because football had started and we'd need to be back for practice.
The kids look forward to Cherry Hill with Heather, every single summer.
Her in-laws own Cherry Hill, so she treats us each summer to a trip there.
She and Ty strike deals with each other so he can go!
Hilarious!
We had such a fun time, and the weather held out beautifully.
We took a break for some lunch and headed back in to the water.
The boys went off with Heather's 2 oldest for an hour or so,
and Heather and I took the little ones to the swimming pool.
While we were swimming, Garrett came to me, wrapped in a towel and said,
"Mom, Dad called my cell phone and called yours and he told me to hurry and get you....
he needs you to get out and call him right now!"
I knew if it wasn't important, Trav would just have me call him in a bit.
I hurried and got out of the pool with Austin and Sis, and ran up the hill to my phone.
When I pulled my phone out of the bag, there were several missed calls from
Trav, Sherry Mitchell and Rhonda Stoker.
My first thoughts were that they had moved Football practice up and
were trying to get ahold of me so that Ty didn't miss it.
I called Trav. He didn't answer.
Called Sherry. She didn't answer.
Called Rhonda. She didn't answer either.
As I was hanging up from trying Rhonda, a call from Trav came in.
As I answered, his voice was shaking as he said,
"Honey, there has been an accident with the Hamblins. Marli was sunbathing on the driveway,
and Janci backed out of the garage and hit her. Marli has been life flighted to Ogden Regional and is in surgery right now, fighting for her life!"
NO. NO. NO. NO!!
I was numb.
Shocked.
So completely heartbroken.
I sat there shaking as all of my children were looking,
hanging on to my expression wondering what was happening.
Trav said he was headed to the hospital right then to be with them.
I told him I would pack us all up, drop the kids off at my Dads,
and I would get there as soon as I could.
I hung up the phone and told my kids and Heather what had just happened.
I couldn't even believe it.
I was so scared at what this meant for some of my closest friends.
I couldn't get to them fast enough.
When I entered the doors of the hospital, I ran as fast as I could to the surgery waiting area.
As I rounded the corner, there was sweet Janci.
She ran to me and we hugged and hugged through our sobs and tears.
My heart hurt for her so badly and I wanted nothing but to be able to take her hurt away.
I grabbed Bridge and hugged him as tight as I could.
Through some glass windows I could see Travis and Lisa.
They were so devastated and scared.
I hugged and loved them and sat with Lisa for quite a while, holding on to her.
Eventually, the Dr's came in and told them that Marli had made it through the surgery,
but that the next 72 hours would be critical in knowing her outcome.
Needless to say, we stayed with them to be there for them in any way we could.
We left towards evening to take care of our kids, and came back later that night til late.
We spent the next 2 days fasting and praying, helping at the hospital in any way we could and taking meals to their family in the evenings when the kids came home from the hospital.
Heavenly Father's plan was not what we had hoped, and Marli was called home August 10th.
We had set up a website and a bank account to help
raise funds to help them while we sat there in the halls of the hospital.
We also made a Facebook page to update friends and the community and we called all of these...
"Miracle for Marli."
Marli was an organ Donor and through their sacrifice, other's were blessed with the gift of life.
As Lisa said, "That will be Marli's Miracle."
From there, I was amazed and in awe of the service rendered in their behalf.
The cheerleaders did a Balloon Release - selling T-Shirts and balloons,
and raised thousands of dollars.
Others sold "Marli's Miracle" bracelets, lemonade, and Football T-shirts, along with several other fundraisers I am not even aware of, to help raise money for them.
I have been so humbled by the service and the love
that has been shown to them in their time of need.
I consider it a huge blessing to be able to raise our family here in Syracuse.
It has made me so aware of the kind of people that surround our family....
they are good, they are kind and they are generous.
It has been a difficult summer here in syracuse with the loss of
4 young lives in just a few short weeks.
Our new motto here is "Syracuse Strong."
And, are we ever!
Losing Marli has been such a devastating thing for us.
We love this family, as though they are our own.
We travel with them, we play sports and we spend time together.
Watching them go through this has been so extremely hard.
I would take it from them if I could.
I consider it a great blessing that I had the privilege of knowing Marli.
She is a happy, easy going soul.
You rarely saw her without a smile, or a following of kids behind her.
She had a laugh that could blow your ear drums, and one I can still hear in my head.
She is a leader, and a dear friend to many.
She was always so sweet to our little Julia.
Julia would hang on her and Janci's every word any time we were together.
Janci and Marli were not only sisters, they were best friends.
I love their relationship and the closeness that they share.
They both brought joy and laughter every time we were together.
I'm so grateful to associate with this family, and I'm so grateful their children are some of my children's closest friends. They are wonderful examples to us.
We will miss Marli.
We hold dear our memories of her,
and we long for the day when their family will be reunited.
Until then, we will love and support them and help to carry them through this.
Thank you Marli for touching our lives and the lives of so many others.
May you always know how much you are loved.


No comments:
Post a Comment