Our family has a tradition that started years ago, and that is every year on Memorial Day, we meet at the cemetery and place flowers on my moms grave. Eventually it was for Mom and Grandma and Grandpa Randle. Then, within the last couple of years, it was for Mom, Grandma and Grandpa, and little Kate Elizabeth. It is a time for all of us to reflect on their lives, reminisce about memories and what could have beens, and just be together. Afterwards, we always go out for the famous "Iceberg shakes!!" (Except for this year, we celebrated Spencer's B-day late, with dinner afterwards). I guess we'll take a rain check on the shakes! Crazy as it sounds, I look forward to this every spring. Of course we think about them all throughout the year.... for me it's every day. But for some reason, being able to be there with family each year and think about them, somehow doesn't make them seem very far away. I realized tonight however, as I listened to my Dad talk about the what could have beens, I realized that those thoughts, and going through life alone, have probably been the hardest on him. Not having Mom around has been a life altering thing for each of us, but for Dad, I can't even begin to imagine!
So, as I think about this tradition and how it is a day to honor hero's....I want to quickly pay tribute to a few of mine! Number one on my list is my sweet Dad. I could blog for hours on this, but I'll keep it short! Aside from my dear husband and children, whom I love and are hero's to me, each in their own way, my Dad has had the single most impact on my life. I don't know of anyone, who would take 3 little children and raise them on his own while trying to run his own hectic law practice. Nor, do I know of any men, who would secretly learn how to french-braid hair so that his little girl wouldn't have to be the only one at school without the "cool" hair do! When you talk about hero's, he's definitely one! Second, is my Mom! Everything I have ever been told about her, or everything I know for myself about her, I want to be. I feel her influence every day and am grateful to the Lord for allowing her to still be with us and to feel her near. They say it gets easier with time, but I find the older I get, the more I need her and miss her. Next, would be my brother Nate and his wife Ally. Nate has always been someone I have looked up to all my life, and I have always known he was a giant, but this was made even more clear to me when two years ago, he and Ally lost their little Kate a few weeks shy of her birth. I can't even tell you how their example and testimony through all of this, strengthened each of us. I have been completely amazed at their attitude and faith, and can only hope to be as righteous as they are. I truly know that the Lord's greatest blessings will be theirs in the life to come. And last but not least....when we think of those who have or are currently serving our country on days like this....I can't help but honor my little brother, Spencer, who is in the military and is one of these brave that we talk about. I have many more hero's that I'll have to list in my own personal journal...but these are just a few I wanted to mention. Isn't it great to have traditions and hero's?!!
P.S. Julia looked so cute in her little American outfit...I just had to post it!!
4 comments:
What a beautiful tribute! Thanks for sharing with us...and for saying hi to our little Kate! xoxo
You made me tear up... what a beautiful tribute you a great holiday.
Sarah! So glad you joined the blogging world. I look forward to keeping "in touch" with you more now. Loved your tribute. I'll never forget the first day of EFY when I looked at the picture of your mom and thought it was you! I think your little Julia is going to be able to do the same thing. She is the spitting image of both of you! What a blessing. Love, Tiffany
oh, dear Sarah, I hope you don't mind I got onto your blog from Heathers. You had tears pouring down my cheeks with your beautiful Memorial day tribute!! I remember so vividly the day we heard that your Mom had been lost in the accident. We loved you and your family so much all ready - your Mom was like you, one could feel IMMEDIATELY infactuated by her! She was fascinately beautiful inside and out! She cheered wherever she went. We cried losing her, but we cried even harder for her husband and three beautiful children, to lose a mother -awful - to lose such a mother as yours - an unfillable loss. Sarah, it's neat to hear your Mom has been with you in spirit and influence, I have no doubt. And it is really neat to watch you being married and raising your little family now!! You are a hero too, dear Sarah!
LOVE, CaMarie
Post a Comment