Friday, March 13, 2009

What I Wouldn't Give to See Her Again...

October 17, 1956 - March 13, 1985

It's crazy how much I remember from that day, seeing as I was only in 1st grade. However, I remember standing in the bathroom, brushing my teeth getting ready for school. Mom and Dad were in the hall way discussing what was going on that day. I'll never forget seeing her with her hair wrapped up in her towel standing there in her green robe. My parents were in the middle of building their dream home in Kaysville and Mom was running errands that day to make final decisions on the drapes, etc.

Drapes...those were the days, weren't they?!!

I specifically remember her dropping us off at the curb of our school and me getting out of the car, but what I wish I could remember so badly is what she said to us as we got out. I have no memory of that, but knowing who she was, I imagine she told us she loved us and to have a good day!

The next thing I remember is that I had earned the reward that day from Mrs. Butler to have the Rainbow Care Bear sit at my desk. But, she forgot. I kept the hope alive that she would remember, but didn't want to say anything. I remember feeling quite sad the whole day. Something that has stuck out in my mind all of these years is that I looked up at the clock around 1 pm. I haven't ever really known what time the car accident happened, but that has always been something I remembered about that day. Odd, I know, but when I think about that day, I remember that. Mrs. Butler came to our home the morning of the funeral and presented me with a brand new Rainbow Care Bear that my whole class had raised money to buy for me. I still have that little bear. It brought a lot of comfort.

I remember coming home from school and knowing immediately that something just wasn't right. A girl in our ward was there to babysit and then slowly family members started showing up. No one was saying anything, and if they did, it was very quietly to each other. Eventually that evening, Dad came home. He called the family together into the family room and explained that Mom wasn't going to be coming home again. As a child, the selfish thoughts and questions come out such as, "Who will take me to piano? Who will take us to school?" Can you imagine my sweet Dad having to field questions like that from his children when he is suffering the most?

My most distinct memory of that whole experience that day was my brother Nate asking, "What's the number to Heaven?" When Grandma tucked me in that night, she told me to pray to Heavenly Father and tell him how I was feeling and ask for comfort. That was when I first gained a testimony of prayer. From that moment on, I have never forgotten the "Number to Heaven."

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord, will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude."
(Elder Wirthlin Oct. 2008 Gen. Conf.)

I truly hope that the Lord will consider me one of those faithful enough to be able to experience tears of that kind.

Mom, I Love You!

Till We Meet Again....

13 comments:

Heather said...

How I wish I knew your mom. I think she's the only thing in your life I don't know about. I can't wait until the day I will get to meet her also!

Megan said...

I am glad you posted about this since I knew the anniversary was getting close, but didn't know the exact day. My heart just aches for you and I am amazed at the woman you have become after having a trial like that at such a young age. I have no doubt that your mom is closer than you know and has been with you a lot during the past few weeks. I love the quote you used from Elder Wirthlin's talk and have read it many times. I know you will be worthy to be with her again; I have no doubt of that! :) Thanks for sharing something so very personal. ((hugs))

Joe and Rach said...

That's very sweet! If she was anything like you, she must have been a very wonderful lady!

Merinda said...

wow, what a life you have lead. I guess you know you have lived a life where you can say that you have been in the depths of hell and felt true joy. My heart definately goes out to you. One can only imagine what you must have gone through. My husband's brother died 3 years ago leaving a wife and 3 young boys behind. That has definately got to be one of life's biggest trials. kudos to your father because he has raised a wonderful family.

MorrisFamilyMemories said...

Thanks for sharing this! Your mom would be so proud of the person you are! You are such a great example of what an Elect Lady is! I really appreciate and love to hear your testimony! You always make me want to try harder to be a better person!

Franklin Times said...

Sarah-
What a beautiful person you are! I loved reading your memories, even though I am trying to type through my blurred eyes and touched heart. What a blessing to know you will see her again. Maybe its just me, but I feel like Chelsea has met your mom. I just feel like since you and I are friends, they too have made that connection. I am so impressed with you, for becoming the woman you are through such a difficult trial at such a tender age. And kudos to your dad too! Well my dear.. sending hugs and comfort your way today. Love you

holly said...

When LeRoy sees me crying at the computer, he's going to start saying, "Oh, reading Sarah's blog again, huh?". That was really touching, you're an incredibly strong person and a great example to me.

Unknown said...

So I'm sitting here crying and wondering why you never told me that story before?! I know I have wanted to ask in the past, but didn't want to pry. You look so much like your mother. And to think she was our age when she passed away. Too young!

Lori said...

You have a much better memory of first grade than I do! All I can remember is getting my hair caught on the bulletin board on picture day and getting a bloody nose while trying to kiss Parker on head while playing kissing tag. I never knew how everything happened with your mom--what a great friend of me to never ask! You are seriously amazing and just like your mom I'm sure--love you!

Rachelle said...

Sarah, I actually remember a lot about that period of time as well. I was very moved by your personal tribute. I remember hearing the news from my grandmother, and I remember Mrs. Butler showing my grandma and I the Care Bear. I even remember taking you home to the rental house shortly after everything happened. We had a sleepover birthday party at your house one time, and I remember how much you were missing your mom. I know she would be so proud of all of you.

Anonymous said...

This just hits me way too hard. Because I remember meeting you for the first time the next school year and feeling tied to you. My heart broke in half and I gave the other half to you. I committed myself to be your best friend from then on... I would have given you my right arm if I could have... I just know it will be all right someday -- but until then... that is why we all have each other.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, you amaze me!!! Your mom is so proud of you, sweet girl. I feel so blessed for the memories I have with you, I remember you finding Garretts name in the book your mom had, I remember you telling me about your mom's ring and the cookie dough in it. She is still so much a part of you and will be so grateful for the day she can hold you in her arms again. Love you

Amy Spalding said...

That was beautiful! I have never seen a picture of you mom. I can see the resemblence. You are truly worthy of every blessing the Lord could possibly give you. I have always admired your strength, and your testimony!