Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I. MADE. FIRE!!!

Not really, but I hope you all just said that in your head exactly the way Tom Hanks does in Castaway! Because - I. JUST. MADE. BREAD!!! That's right! I did and it actually turned out ok, minus a little over cooking caused by the neighbor talking to me in the yard! Am I the only dork out there that didn't know Banana Bread didn't call for yeast? (Maybe I don't want an answer to that!)I seriously can't cook. That's no secret. Not having Mom, and having a busy Law Practice, my Dad hired me to cook the dinners for our family when I was a Sophomore in High School. I wanted to make money and Dad saw a way to help us both out. He gave me $5 for home cooked/scratch meals, and $3 if it came from a box. Well, the first meal I ever made was Tuna Noodle Casserole. Whipped it up real easy, almost too easy.....served it nice and hot and made $5 bucks in the process. Because that night went so well and being as smart as I was.....I tried the exact same thing the next night, and the next night and the night after that. By Friday night, Dad was sick of Tuna Noodle Casserole and paying for a joke of a cook, that my job position was quickly terminated and I found myself working at Cherry Hill shortly after!

So, needless to say I don't know a ton about cooking. Any time I try to use yeast it just turns into a complete disaster. I ran across a recipe today for Banana Nut Bread that didn't call for yeast. I was so surprised, and just happened to have bananas that were ready for the job! Only thing I didn't have is a bread pan! What? How did I escape a wedding without getting one of those? I called my Dad and asked if I could have Mom's bread pans and he said yes! Sweet! In the mean time, I borrowed some for today.Do you think Martha Stewart was this proud with her first loaf of "non-yeast" bread? It feels good to be a cook-ess! For today anyway.

7 comments:

Megan said...

Nicely done. I can almost smell it....yummy! Oh, and you CAN TOO cook bread with yeast.....try it!

Heather said...

I love that you thought you needed yeast! I could give you a few other bread recipes that don't require yeast!!! Zucchini and Peach...LOVE it! That's one of the reasons I keep being your friend!

Hillary said...

Congratulations! It looks great. I'll bet you are a better cook than you give yourself credit for.

By the way, were we not friends when you were a sophomore? You should have said something. I would have given you a lessons or two.....like the secret to yeast is water temperature.

Good luck on future endeavors.

Franklin Times said...

Look at you go! It looks absolutely delish! I beg to differ about the cooking~ you make a mean Cafe Rio lunch, and your cookies were quickly eaten up at our house! So I am not buying the whole..."I can't cook" line. YES YOU CAN!

Rachelle said...

Good job! I too share your fear of yeast involved recipes. Banana bread is one of my favorites, and yours looks super good!!!!

Grandma's Corner said...

Sarah, if you can make banana bread, you can also make zucchini bread. I will hire you to make all of my bread! In exchange for a steam it party. Have a great day! I don't do yeast either...

Mom said...

Looks great Sarah! Keep going! Heather mentioned our great Fresh Peach Bread recipe, if you love peaches you'll love it--no yeast!
Now I feel badly, I thought you did take part in our one summer cooking class at our house, although we focused mainly on no bake, quick items. I really wish you would have spoke up more about those kinds of things. I sure would have been happy to let you practice at our house.
I know you make a great fudge, from Grandma Davies--that's really all you need to know.

Cute reading about the boys and how much they enjoy sports.

Love you! Lavonne