Monday, August 2, 2010

No More Honey Do's!

This last weekend was our Ward Camp Out at our Stake Camp in Morgan. Thursday night Trav and I were making plans and he said, "We're just going to take the tent, k? It's too much work for one night to take the 5th Wheel." I agreed. No big deal. I don't mind tenting it! It was planned then. We would leave early Friday afternoon, with our tent! Only problem is, Friday morning, I decided the 5th Wheel sounded better, and besides, there was a family in our ward who didn't have room in their vehicle to take stuff for their family to sleep over. I didn't want them to miss out, so I offered to take their stuff up so they could stay. I sent Trav a text begging to take the trailer. He sent one back.....sweetly agreeing to the task! We loaded up, packed our bags and headed off to the Stake Camp. Everything was great til we were a 1/2 mile from the camp and realized we had blown one of the new tires on the trailer! "I know, should have brought the tent!" I said. Luckily our neighbor was driving behind us and was able to take me and the kids to the camp to bring back some help for Trav. The tire was replaced with the spare 45 mins. later. Dinner was wonderful and the games my friend and I were in charge of for the kids turned out great! Everyone had a wonderful time.......we even slept SO good! After breakfast the next morning, many cleaned up and left. Our kids and some of their friends, had started floating the river on tubes, so we stayed a while longer to watch. After watching them make a few runs, I got this hair-brained idea that it would be fun to go down it myself. I talked Trav into going with me. Reluctantly he said yes. (He didn't have a change of clothes, so he wasn't thrilled at the idea. He didn't want to get wet.) I changed into some of Garrett's clothes and off we went, tubes in hand. On the way up to the starting point, I ran into one of my Young Women. I begged her to come with us as well. Only problem was, once we got to the starting point, we didn't have enough tubes. Again, I talked Trav into sharing a two seater one with me, so Morgan could have the single. Things were going really well on our ride, til half way down. Our tube was headed straight for a tree along the bank that was hanging out into the water. As Trav reached out for the tree to push us off, our tube tipped over. I immediately went under the water, down underneath the tree. As I came up for air, the tube came over top of me and pushed me back down. I reached up and moved the tube only to have the tree push me back down again. I don't love water. One of my biggest fears, next to earthquakes, is to drown. I felt a little panic set in. It was all happening so fast. Before Trav made it to me, I was able to reach up and hold the branch up so I could take a breath. Eventually, we made it out from there (my glasses and all!!), back onto the tube. Again, I looked at Trav and said, "Should have ridden separately!" We both laughed. Right then and there, after two blown chances, I lost all control over any future "Honey-do's!" I don't know how soon Trav will do what I tell him again, after this weekend! Oh well, being boss was fun while it lasted! When we made it around the next corner of the river, there were our neighbors.....cameras in hand, wondering what in the heck had happened! We all got a good laugh at how soaked I was, and how Trav ended up wet after all! (Who goes down a river thinking they won't anyway! Ha, Ha!) We made it home safe and sound - with a free tire from Les Schwab and all! It was a great, short, eventful camp trip. We have an amazing ward.....surrounded by such awesome people! Thanks Hansen Meadows, you sure know how to throw a party!

5 comments:

Ed said...

Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh, I needed one today! Glad all ended well!

Megan said...

I LOVE it and am sorry we packed up and left before your river run! It looked like fun and I am VERY glad you didn't get hurt! Oh, and I am sure Trav won't mind a "Honey Do"....just give a week or so to recover! Hee hee hee!

Lori said...

Love it! That is great. I love ward campouts/get togethers. Tell Trav he is the best and that next time, he'd better stand up to his wife and tell her "NO." Ha ha.

Heather said...

I love it!

Hillary said...

How funny! Ward campouts are the best way to camp. I am glad you survived.