I woke up this morning with the realization that today, was THAT day. That day that changed my life completely, for the rest of my time here on Earth, 26 years ago. I have shared stories of my Mom. I have shared experiences I have had without her. I have shared her pictures. But today, I share the thought's I've had since I woke up.A few years ago, I went with my Dad down to Salt Lake to do some shopping for some remodeling he was doing at his home. He took me to a fabric store called Calico Corners to see if we could find something to recover a chair with. I unloaded the boys out of the car and started walking in to the building. At one point, my Dad was right by my side. As I reached the door, I turned to find him a few steps behind facing State Street. He was just standing there, looking out at the traffic. I waited a minute. Still, he stood. I walked back toward where he was and asked what he was doing. His reply has stuck with me ever since. I did not expect what came. "I told her to go that way. Instead, for whatever reason, she went the opposite way. Had she gone the way I told her, she would still be here today." Dad never talks about losing Mom. He has always kept his feelings extremely private. That's who he is. But in that moment, I felt his pain. What if? What if? Mom went to Calico Corners to pick out the material for drapes for their new home. From there she was headed to the home of the seamstress that would be making them. Dad told her the best way to get there, and as he said, for whatever reason, she went a different way. Who knows. Maybe traffic was horrible. Maybe she had somewhere else to go before going there. Either way, she didn't make it back home to us that day.
I thought about that while I sat in Sacrament meeting. What if? What if things would have been different that day? Then, I thought of all I had experienced with her while she has been on the other side of the veil. What if it were different? I wouldn't have had those opportunities where I knew she was right there with me so literally, that if I just had the right eyes, I could see her there beside me. I wouldn't have had some of the experiences I have had in the Temple, having babies, during trials, alone in my car or during prayer. It's a double edge sword. Can't have her both ways, unfortunately.
As I played the postlude music for Primary today, I opened my book and it fell to "I Wonder When He Comes Again." I drove home singing the words to that song in my mind. What a picture it paints. I may sound crazy.....but some days, I long for that day. I've played it out in my mind many times. I cannot wait for that reunion. I just hope Mom is ready for a constant spiritual shadow, because I don't picture myself ever leaving her side again.
Mom was so special her Heavenly Father called her home early because he had a special work that only she could do. What a blessing it is for me to call this woman Mom. She is a constant in my daily thoughts. She lives on in my children. And, as Julia has said many times and in her prayers, "We are thankful for Grandma Randle, and can't wait for Jesus to bring her back.".....Till We Meet Again.
6 comments:
Sarah, I didn't get to meet your mom but she must have been pretty amazing to have a daughter like you. You will have your time together...
I thought that was today... and thought about you my dear friend. You always write the perfect tribute and I am confident that she is a proud mother, and will embrace you as her spiritual shadow. Love you!
Tears in my eyes again. She must have been a very special woman, I'm sure she was. What special moments you've had in your life because she is on the other side already. We love you.
All I can say is I love you and I know your mom is so incredibly proud to call you her daughter.
How do we hold back the tears as we read that? Sarah, I add my faith to yours that is so easy to feel as I read your blog and as I've known your life. I know you and your beautiful children will play with Grandma Randle again, and that day will more than compensate for any measure of pain or sorrow any of you have experienced. I know your family's life has been in the Lord's hands and he has a plan for you in all of it. THANK you for sharing such special feelings. We love you!
Kari
Geez Sarah! Everytime I read your posts about your mom I find myself and whatever child happens to be sitting on my lap, bathed in tears! I love you!
Post a Comment