Tuesday, July 31, 2012

And.....They're Off!!!

Growing up, as one of our family traditions, Grandma Randle would throw the BIGGEST
 "Going To Kindergarten" Party!!
Everyone looked forward to turning 5 and having that held in their honor.
I remember my party that I shared with my cousin Chrissy.
Grandma made us matching green floral dresses and we each wore leis around our necks.
We were given back packs, crayons, clothes, rulers, markers, watches, etc.
Everything a kid needed to start Kindergarten excited, prepared and unafraid!

Now that our little Grandma is gone,
I have been determined to keep that tradition alive!
Garrett and Ty both had one, 
and now Sis has been added to the list.
She loved every minute of it.....she tore the gifts open like it was Christmas!
Sis has looked forward to Kindergarten for a long time.
The night before school started, she had her new outfit all laid out and ready to go.
 
 
And then there's the big 5th grader......
who washed his very best Basketball shorts and Football shirt -
 dressed up as much as he could muster and headed off to the game. I mean school!
He did get a haircut that night, however!
Ty has been very sweet to walk Sis to class every day since the 1st,
until she is comfortable getting there herself!

Julia is in the Chinese Immersion class, which means she learns in
 Chinese the 1st half of the day with Mrs. Chen,
and the second half of her day is spent in the
 English portion of Kindergarten with Mrs. Larsen.
She is like a sponge.
I am learning new words in Chinese every day she comes home!
It's pretty incredible how fast children pick things up.
We are loving the thought of opportunities this may open for her business 
or church wise in her future.
I didn't know how I felt about it all at first,
but now that she is going and I've seen kids in our neighborhood speak it fluently,
I am excited.

I cannot believe Ty is in 5th grade.
He and Garrett will only be together 2 more years,
 when Garrett is in 9th and 12th grade - 
and then off on missions.
Hopefully!
For now, I'm glad Sis and Ty have each other.
I loved having my older brother at school to watch over me,
and now, I'm loving that she has hers.

Happy School year guys!!
We love you!

3 comments:

Franklin Times said...

So sweet! You are the cutest mom ever :) Enjoy these years... I don't have to tell you that, I know you know how fast it goes. They all look ready to go and learn.

tana.hale@comcast.net said...

I remember when Travis started kindergarten, he wanted me to walk him to the corner to catch the school bus. I did it for about a week, then he said he was ok he could make it on his own. Just watch me ok mom. Well I watched alright and he walked backwards all the way to make sure I was still there. LOVE you Trav my awesome son!!!

Megan said...

What a CUTE idea!!!! You are such a fun momma!! Will has been learning Chinese on his own for um....awhile. So, now we know to come to Julia for help....!!!! Have a great year, Cute Burke Kids!!