A couple of weeks ago, Garrett called me from school....after only being there an hour. As I picked up the phone, I could hear him crying. I asked him what was wrong and he told me "Mom, my heart hurts and I can't get it to stop beating fast." Over the last few months, he has told me this a few times......and embarrassingly enough, I just kind of blew him off....thinking he had been out playing and had over-worked himself. So, when the call came from school that morning, I was nervous, and prayed I hadn't waited too long. I told him to go back to class, get the work he would need and meet me in the office. When I got to the school he was there with his teacher. She told me that he was just sitting in his desk and then his heart started racing so bad she could see it through his shirt. Long story short, I took him to the Dr. where they did an EKG and a physical exam. The Doc. had us go home and then he met with a heart specialist at another clinic in Layton. A few days ago, he called me and told me that he and the specialist were referring us to Primary Childrens Hospital for further testing. I think someone was watching over us.....because they got the referral from him 3 days ago, and we were able to get in to see the Pediatric Cardiologist there today! I was thrilled because we didn't think we would get in till August and I really wanted him checked before football starts again. After 2 hours of evaluations and another EKG, it was pretty much determined that Garrett has Supraventricular Tachycardia. To put that simply (after reading the pamphlet), it is non-life threatening and he can continue to be the active boy he is and involved in sports. However, they are concerned enough with family history and with the things Garrett is telling them are happening when he has an "episode," that they are sending an Event Monitor to our home next week that he will attach to his chest and wear for 30 days. If he feels the rapid beating in his chest, he pushes a button that will record what is happening and then the Dr. can tell us exactly what is going on. I never thought I would say this....but I hope he has one in those 30 days, so we can have complete peace of mind. The visit was wonderful, they were so nice and kind and very thorough. I wish it was possible to take the kids there everytime even for a simple runny nose! They really spent a lot of time with us making sure they knew everything! When it was just Garrett and I alone in the room, I had an episode with my own heart. I watched my 9 year old sit up on that table with sticky electrodes all over his chest, and realized how much I truly do love that little kid. Sometimes I am very hard on Garrett. I expect him to be so grown up, being the oldest. Its times like these that I understand how little he still is and how dependent he is on me as his mom. I stood up from my chair and walked over to him and loved on him. Then I just stood by his side and talked to him. Garrett is so funny and just has the greatest little personality when given the chance. The PA and the Dr. were in love with him. It was fun to watch. When we were all finished and Garrett was dressed, we walked out of the room and the nurse gave Garrett 2 small gold tokens to put in a machine to get 2 prizes to take home. The PA came out and talked to me again for a minute and as we walked down the hall I said, "What did you pick from the machines?" Garrett stopped, looked up at me and said, "I got you something Mom." I looked down to see a sparkling emerald ring in his hand. Next thing I knew.....a second "episode" happened and my heart melted. I quickly realized that Garrett had the same feelings about me while we sat in that little patient room together. Those small tokens he was given became a token of love from one little boy to his Mom.
10 years ago
14 comments:
Thanks for making me cry again! I just love Garrett too and I am sorry your family has to go through this "episode", but I am glad that what you are hearing is mostly good news. I really appreciate all you did for our family this week. It meant a ton to us. Love ya!
SO glad everything is ok and I hope some more answers come in the next 30 days. I can relate to the worries of seeing your little one hooked up to machines and feeling the fragility of life. It sure does make your heart race!
I'm glad it looked good. He's a strong boy...go bubba.
That is the most beautiful cherrished memory ever. I am so glad that you blogged about it, hopefully making this into a family journal some day that you can both look back on. He is a boy, so when he is a teenager, he may try to shrug it off a little, but when he becomes a man, i'm sure he will tell you his real feelings about that day and how much he really loves his mom. And I also hope nothing is wrong with him, he is such an adorable kid.
I'm so glad they took such good care of you and Garrett and thought everything looked okay! What a sweet mom and an even sweeter son!
I'm glad you blogged about this! I was going to call you today because a few days ago Devin told me that Garrett was having really bad heartburn and that he might have cancer (Devin's uncle's cancer was linked to heartburn-I think that's why he made that connection...)anyway, he told me about the monitor Garrett has to wear and how "cool" it is :) Anyway, I'm glad to hear it isn't life threatening, and I hope they are able to give you more info, too. I agree with those one-on-one doctor's visit moments. It really gives you a chance to realize how much those obnoxious pre-teen boys mean to us :)
I am soooo glad that everything is okay! It's so scary when things go wrong with our kids. I could have written part of your post myself. I am too hard on my oldest son most of the time, and I need to take more of those moments to let him know how much I love and appreciate him. Thanks for a good reminder. Garrett sounds like a real sweetheart.
Sarah! Oh my goodness. I am sorry, that kind of stuff is never easy for a mom to go through.
I love the "moment" you shared though, so so so special! You and your Garrett will be in my prayers, especially over the next 30 days. Luvs and hugs.
Oh man, you need to be a writer for a living or something because I'm crying again! You really have a way of writing about your life and making it so magical and beautiful and touching. Anyway... I'm glad he is ok and you were able to get the help you needed right away!
Great post, although I was reading lightening fast to see if Garrett was ok! Sheesh. I am sorry that you had to go through that! I love your ring. Precious. I love that you have taken this experience and made it a sweet one. You are awesome.
What a precious moment with Garrett. The quick and thorough medical care you received made me want to move back to Utah. I sure hope all turns out well for him. I love your posts - every one makes me tear up.
Kari
What a precious moment with Garrett. The quick and thorough medical care you received made me want to move back to Utah. I sure hope all turns out well for him. I love your posts - every one makes me tear up.
Kari
Sarah, What a precious blog to have forever! How wonderful that you were able to see that this was a precious time for you and Garrett amidst all the stress it was causing you both!
I can't believe this is happening to him or you guys, when it rains it pours! I certainly pray for you that he has a couple of spells quickly, that seems like a crazy thing to want to have happen, but wow! it needs to happen fast to help with the bucks! I pray you find out soon what is going on. These times are just so hard and we always want them to just pass and go away. I'm sorry, hang in there you guys! We love you!
Mom C.
This might be kinda weird, but I went to school with Travis (maybe he will vouch for me) I follow a blog of a girl who has this same thing.
http://jessicajensen.blogspot.com/ CHECK OUT THIS POST Thursday, January 31, 2008
We Should Have Been Working...
Thought that maybe you might have some questions she could answer. Best of luck to you. Feel free to check us out as well.
Post a Comment