Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Decoration Day!

For some reason I noticed more this Memorial Day than ever......old people saying Decoration Day! That's classic! Don't know why it hit me....but I thought it was great! Decoration Day! Who knew? Call me crazy, but I love Memorial Day! I guess it's because I know it will be spent with the whole family being together! Usually we kick off our camping season on this weekend, with a bunch of Trav's friends and their families. All of the preparations were made.....just had to buy the food and make the drive. However, after receiving a call from the heart monitor company (the morning of), telling us the monitor will be $150/day for 21 days and that insurance won't pay till the $1000 deductible is met, and then only 80% after that......somehow spending $250 for a 3 day camp trip just didn't seem like the logical thing to do! So, knowing the kids would be disappointed coming home from school to an unpacked trailer.....Trav came to the rescue with free passes to the Motor View Drive-In. LeRoy and Holly came along with their little girls and we had a night out in our trucks at the next best all American Tradition! (Heads up....Night at the Museum 2 was just that.....part 2! Are the sequels ever as good?) Our kids liked it however, and that was all that mattered! Julia was in Heaven.....candy and movies under the stars - only Disneyland could beat that!Monday we met at the cemetery! I love Wasatch Lawns....it is beautiful.....usually! This year they didn't mow the lawns for the occasion, which kinda irriated me, but what'dya do? All of the flowers, flags, and balloons made up for it though. It was an awesome sight! We spent time there talking and having fun, and then went to dinner for our little Bro.'s B-day! Our tradition of IceBerg shakes is quickly running away from us.....this is year 2 without! Next year that will have to be the first stop of the afternoon, I guess! I wish I had the camera out when the waitresses came to sing Happy Birthday to Chub...(that's his nick name.....he's anything but Chubby....infact, he and I have swapped places over the years!), he stood up and danced while they sang! Now that's a Memorial Day!

6 comments:

Camille Parker said...

We sure missed you guys!!! I'm glad you had a fun weekend. Next year the camping trip is on again. Hope all is well. Chat with you later.

Ronda said...

Glad to hear you still had a fun weekend! That just stinks about the heart monitor! Why does everything medical have to cost so dang much? Hope it works out for you and you're left with more answers than questions at the end of it.

Heather said...

I'm glad you had such a good day! What a great picture of all the family!

Franklin Times said...

Sounds like a great Decoration Day! Glad you enjoyed the weekend, in-spite of not being able to go camping. The drive-in looks like lots of fun, we have not done that forever!

Merinda said...

Such a beautiful family and such a great tradition. I'm sorry you didn't get to go on vacation though. Darn those medical bills that creep up on you like that, that's really crazy though. I'm glad that you had a great time at the movie although I happen to agree with you about that movie. i was so looking forward to it and didn't think it was half as good as the first one. Oh well. Glad to see you all had fun anyway although in that one picture with your husband sitting on the back of the truck, you could tell he would have rather been some place else for sure.

Merinda said...

And by the way, Aurora is a little tiny town that is between Salina and Richfield that you almost blink and you won't see it. My father lived there for a good portion of his young years and alot of his family is burried there. With my family living in Salina for 33 years, it was where they bought their burial plots.