Monday, August 10, 2009

A time for learning....

I did it! Today Trav and I dropped off our boys to their first day of school! The beginning of 2nd and 4th grade! How is that possible? So what did I do? For the first time in 6 "First Days" I didn't cry! (At least not at the school!) That is a major feat for me....I usually get teary-eyed as we walk toward the building! But today, we were in such a scramble, because I had forgotten to get everything together for Ty's teacher regarding his peanut allergies. Not sure why that snuck up on me so fast....but it did, and now I was in a pinch! Thanks to my sweet friend Heidi, I was able to get the letter to the parents printed and ready to go. Trav ran to Walmart to purchase the box of Fruit Snacks we send every year, 'cause inevitably someone will show up at some point in the year with a Birthday treat loaded with peanuts, and Ty will have those so he doesn't have to go without! Darn Peanuts!! Anyway, we finally made it to the school, with time to spare, only to show up late by the time we realized Ty was the only 2nd grade class not in the 2nd grade hall, and Garrett is the last portable clear outside!! Oh well, we made it....... snapped a few shots and left them there to be educated! (We hope!)(The house is all her's again, and she couldn't be happier!)
I have thought a lot the last couple of weeks about school starting and the boys growing up. There is a side of me that has been waiting anxiously for school to start (89% side of me!), so there would be no more fighting, no more "I'm Bored's," no more "It's too hot's!," no more "This is the worst summer ever's," etc. But the other side of me is recognizing that with each new school year comes the realization that we are just another year closer to them growing up and being out on their own. That is the side of me that brings the emotions with it! As I was driving home today I thought about the boys in school learning about the things they will need to get through everyday life. I was grateful that part of my life is accomplished, til I realized that that part of life seems easier than the learning I am going through now. I have been struggling lately, as we are now approaching the time that we were supposed to be having our baby. The due date was the 17th, but I usually take Dr. Healy's offer to have my babies a week early, which would be right about now! A few of our friends were expecting around the same time. Some are now holding their babies and others anxiously awaiting their arrival. I was thinking I was dealing with it all pretty well, until August came and brought with it a ton of feelings! I am hoping I will learn quickly what it is the Lord wanted us to learn from all of this, maybe I never will. Many have offered advice, thoughts and insight. Some of what we've been told, I have chosen to forget, knowing the intentions were good, but none-the-less, not what I've wanted to hear. Some has been helpful. The advice I have chosen to listen to today, and the point I am trying to make in writing all of this down, is that the Lord has given us 3 beautiful children, who are here now and in need of our love and attention. We may or may not have others join our family, even though the desire is there. I have to be willing to leave it in the Lord's hands and take each day at a time. If it is meant to be, it will happen......as hard as that is to learn and grasp! So, for now, I will be grateful for what I have been given, rather than focusing on what I wish we had been given. Garrett and Ty you are lucky that I've had this whole thought process this morning, cause I was going to make you walk home, but now I think I will come pick you up and give you a ride! Happy first day of school my little boys......as we continue to learn and grow together this year and always!

8 comments:

Ronda said...

There you go again! Making me cry! WITH the added bonus of guilt for being excited for another school year to begin. (SIGH)

Megan said...

Great post, Sarah. I always cried when I dropped Sasha off, too! I know what you mean about your due date being super hard. I am glad I am past all of mine, hopefully forever. Reminders of what would have been are super hard. We are lucky to have what we have! Thanks for reminding me of that! :)

Franklin Times said...

My dear friend,
Have you ever thought of writing a book? ;)Title.."Say what?" lol
Loved reading this today, even though it brought tears, and I have 2 weeks till my girls go back.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize your timeline. I am sure it hurts.
I believe you are learning things you may not even realize, and you are teaching those of us around you along the way.(at least the ones that are lucky enough to know you.)
Chin up, smile, only 4 days till P-A-R-T-Y time! Luv ya

Deana Padelsky said...

I must be a bad mom because I don't think I ever cried when I took my kids to their first day of school. I am hating the fact that Dawson (my baby) is in the 4th grade. They really do grow up too fast! You are such an amazing mom, I'm sure the Lord has his own special plans for you and your family!!!!

Heather said...

I can't believe school has started. I'm not ready to send my kids out the door! I know I"m going to cry my eyes out...can I contribute it to changing hormones?! I was just thinking of you and your due date yesterday. I wish we knew the plan and why things happen. Thank you for sharing in our joy, Davis. I know it can't be easy for you...knowing how close they would have been! We love you and are thinking of you!

Lori said...

I am still waiting anxiously for the 1st day of school but know also that when it comes I will be bawling like a baby. I don't think I realize how much I enjoy having them home until they are gone again. Isn't that the same with anything in life? You are an awesome mother! Love you!

McDougal's said...

You seem to always amaze me...I need you to write my journal for me...everything you say is what I feel exactly. I am so not looking forward to school, I love my girls home!!!
Keep your chin up...your plan is underway with Heavenly Father in the lead...just be patient. LOVE YA

Amy Spalding said...

I know what you mean! It seems like I get teary every time I talk to my kids' teachers! I just want the boys to realize their potential, and I worry when I'm not there to at least see what's going on with my own eyes...I get their versions-but who knows how much of that is true :) I'm sorry this month has been difficult. I still find myself thinking about the baby we lost when December 28th rolls around. We would have a 12 year old!!!! I still don't understand the whole plan for those little ones...but, I have realized over the past 11 years or so, that I don't need to understand. Heavenly Father know all, and like you said, I am blessed with the children I have, and I need to focus on them and how I can help them return to Him.