I think I have more issues than just MS!! I cried today saying good-bye to Garrett and Ty's Teachers! Why is it that I become so attached to them? Kinda funny, but I do. I thought about it driving home. I have to admit, I haven't been overly impressed with Ty's teacher this year. It was her first year at our school, so we didn't know anything about her. She was a little awkward at Parent Teacher Conferences, and sometimes letters that have come home have been a little strange too. Then there's Garrett's teacher who is incredibly on the ball and has him do a power point presentation for us about his grades at Parent Teacher Conferences. She sends weekly emails and always keeps in touch with us. She does fun things in class to promote learning and asks for me to be there to be involved. So, I have favored her a little bit more. However, today when I went into the classroom with Ty to give his teacher a little something and get a picture of them together, she came right up to me, told me how much she has loved having Ty in her class, and that he is the class "Round the World" champ! It's a game they play to compete against each other with math facts. She told me that they just got the end of year testing scores back - Ty got a 4 in Math! She said that was incredible and was thrilled to see him get that score, it was a high for the class. She also said he had done amazing in reading as well. Ty had a Kindergarten teacher who really put him behind....that whole class suffered, according to his First grade teacher who had most of those students the next year. We have been on an uphill battle since then trying to catch up a bit. He has grown leaps and bounds, because he has had great teachers since. So, that's when the tears started. I was so grateful to her for the efforts she has put in with Ty this year. I realized how much she really did care for him and truly wanted to see him succeed. I was a little too hard on her for being so nervous around us parents.....but that's not what mattered in the end. What mattered is that she loved and taught our little boy and helped him excel in school, and for that, I am so grateful!
(Ty and Ms. Jorgensen - 2nd Grade)
Saying good-bye to Garrett's teacher was hard. I have loved her. Garrett didn't want her at first because she was the "Strict One!!" She IS strict, but also very loving and patient as well. The kids respect her because of it. I wish I had the command over Garrett that she has! :) She just raises her hand in the air and the entire class comes to attention. When I asked Garrett the other day if he was glad now that he had her.....he said, "Heck Yeah!" He respects her for who she is and what she has taught him. She has been very patient and understanding with us through all we have gone through this year, when we slacked a little on home assignments. Garrett made a mistake by making a wrong choice at one point in the year. He and I talked about what had happened and how to make it right. Doing so, he realized that meant he was going to have to go and talk to Mrs. Beckstead to confess what had happened and that there might be a consequence with it all. I was very nervous for him to go talk to her as well. I was upset with what had happened, but tried to teach him in a loving way by talking it all out. I had prayed that morning that she would be forgiving and help teach him the same way I had. I was so impressed when Garrett came home and told me that she had sat him down, had a really good talk about what happened and together they decided on what the consequence should be. She then emailed me and told me how impressed she was that Garrett had the courage to talk to her and that he valued his integrity enough to admit his wrong doing, then work to correct it. After that, Garrett gained a huge respect and love for her as well. I was so appreciative of the way she handled that situation with him. She told me the other day that Garrett was a favorite in her class....she just loved having him around.
(Garrett and Mrs. Beckstead - 4th Grade)
In a lot of ways, the old adage is true, "It takes a Village to raise a child." I believe that. Each teacher my children have, whether in church or school, play an important role in who they turn out to be. I am thankful for each of them for taking time out of their lives, to help them learn, grow and succeed. Thank you Mrs. Beckstead and Ms. Jorgensen for all you have done this year. Happy summer to us.....til we start the new year July 20th!!!! (Is there anything more strange than Year Round School?) We are so proud of you Garrett and Ty for all of your hard work and good grades! We love you!
3 comments:
Have fun with your 2 weeks of summer! Live it up, it's not long!
Garrett and Tyler, grandma wants to thank you for being a good example for Julia and all of your cousins. I watch you too and you have been a great example for me as well! Have a great summer vacation. I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!
You are so sweet to do such nice things for your kids' teachers. So happy to hear they had such a great year. Yay for summer!
Post a Comment