Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Wrapped Up In Her Quilts.......

Last summer, an awesome family moved to our ward from Washington D.C.  I was serving in the RS Presidency at the time, so I called to schedule our weekly visit with this new sister so we could get to know her better and welcome her to the ward.
As soon as we met, I felt an instant connection with her.
I knew my visiting teaching companion at the time was getting ready to move.
So, as we walked out of the door of this new sister's home,
I told the RS President that I wanted her as my new Visiting Teaching companion.
She agreed.  Yay!
So.....within just a few weeks, I was introducing Sister Riley to the sister's we teach!!
Within just a few months of that, we were released as the RS Presidency,
and I was called to be a Sunday School teacher over the 14-15 yr. olds as a team teacher with
none other than......Sister Riley!
I was thrilled.  She is amazing!  I learn just as much from her as the kids do.
She went to school at a really awesome university (Cannot for the life of me remember which one!), and served a mission in Spain.  She knows her stuff.
 Sister Riley has also had some trials in the last few months
that have brought us closer together.
She is a dear friend.
Little did I know, that the end of May would bring a devastating trial to her and her family, 
one that I know and have experienced first hand.
Her brother-in-law and her Sister-in-law had left early one morning, 
just before Memorial Day Weekend, to head to Bear World and Yellowstone with their little kids.
Within a few minutes of leaving their home in Kaysville,
her Brother-in-law lost control of the vehicle and they rolled several times, 
landing off the side of the freeway near Clearfield.
Her sweet Sister-in-law, Becky, was killed on impact.
Her brother-in-law was seriously injured and was life flighted to McKay Dee Hospital.
Their 4 little children, all under the age of 10, the youngest being 6 months old,
were all rushed to Primary Childrens Hospital.
When the news reached me, I was devastated for them.
So many thoughts and feelings surface when I hear stories like this.
I immediately sent a text to Melissa, in hopes of sending some comfort and offering to help.
The next day, I had to give our lesson in class.
It was all about following the Promptings of the Holy Ghost.
I immediately sent a text to Melissa that night, after a prompting had come.
I felt awkward in asking, as to this family.....I am a complete stranger, but I did anyway.
I wanted to do something for this family, for these little children without their mother.
I asked Melissa if it would be possible to get some of Becky's 
clothing to make quilts for her little ones to wrap up in.
She had had the exact same thoughts.  Together we knew this needed to be done.
Long story short, her other Sister-in-law got some of the
clothing and got her close friends involved.
Melissa text me the name of this friend who was heading up the quilts.
I felt really silly contacting them to help, and felt like at that point, 
they had it taken care of and it was best that they were the ones to do it anyway.
However, I thought about it all that night.
Even in to the next day.
Something kept telling me to contact this friend and offer my help.
The nagging feeling didn't leave for a day and a half.
Here I had just taught the youth to follow promptings, but now I was pushing one away!
So, before I knew it, I grabbed my phone and sent a quick text to this friend in charge, offering to help in any way that I could with these quilts.
She text back immediately and said, "What an answer to prayer!  
We were only able to get 4 made for the kids.
We really wanted to get one made for their father. 
 Do you think you could help us do that?"
Of course I was more than happy to help.
They were trying to get them all finished before the funeral, to offer some comfort.
Another woman had stepped forward and offered free quilting for the children's quilts, 
so they were already sewn together and off to be quilted.
I ran to Kaysville and picked up the remainder of the clothing pieces and brought them back to my house that night to get started.  Again, I felt prompted to call my dear friend Sandy Hansen, who was the RS President I had served under.  She is a master seamstress and quilter....
.even teaches classes on this type of thing.
I knew if anyone could help us get this quilt done in time, it would be Sandy.
She was so willing to help, and before I knew it.....she had taken on the whole task herself. 
She was able to sew all the quilt squares together in just a few hours and brought it back to me the very next morning, so that I could piece it with the
batting and start on tying it all together.
I don't have much experience in that department,
Nor do I own a quilting frame.
However, with the way these quilts were going, 
I knew Heavenly Father would help me figure out a way, so that I could get it tied fast and get it back to Sandy so she could bind the edges and we could have it ready to be
 delivered with the children's quilts a day later.
I had a lot going on that afternoon with end of the school things for the kids that I had to be to.
I put Austy down for a nap, laid the quilt out on our family room floor and just stared at it for a minute.  I quickly started pinning the heck out of that quilt,
 once I had it all hooked to the batting and the back piece of fabric.
 (Which Sandy had the perfectly sized piece for and donated - another miracle!)
Next, I offered a quick prayer to Heavenly Father......
asking Him to please help me tie that quilt faster than any quilt had ever been tied.....
so that I could finish it before I needed to get to the school, 
and so that Sandy could spend that evening binding it all together.
Otherwise, it probably wouldn't be finished in time for this poor, sweet Father and Husband.
I tied the quilt one square at a time, row by row.
It was incredibly fast and before I knew it.....it was tied,
 I was showered and on my way to Sandy's and the Elementary School to cheer the kids on!

I sent a quick text to Leah, the lady in charge of the quilts.
I told her the "Miracle Quilt" was almost finished and more than likely, 
would be ready with the others!
She sent back pictures of the other little ones that were either finished,
or almost finished as well!
 (The little boy's quilt - age 3)
 (Oldest Daughter - age 8)
(Sweet little baby girl - age 6 mos.)

I didn't get a picture of the other little 5 yr. old girl's quilt,
but as I looked through these pictures and texts, 
I was amazed at the work Heavenly Father had made possible.
5 quilts were put together in a matter of about 4 days.
 5 quilts in 4 days!
That just doesn't happen very easy.
Sandy brought the Dad's quilt back to me the very next morning, finished and ready to go.
We made his a mix of all her clothing clips that were used in the children's quilts.
It turned out beautifully!
I was able to deliver it to Leah that afternoon, and we both hugged and cried.
We both felt very connected and knew this wasn't a chance meeting.

I was hesitant in sharing this story, as "Thine Alms may be in Secret...." but, 
this was such a special, and sacred opportunity for me.
I felt blessed to be a part of it.
Many people reached out to our family in the loss of my own Mother.
Many donated and gave to us.
It felt so good, in their time of need, to offer this little bit of service.
Leah gave the quilts to the family before the family prayer the morning of the service.
She later text and told me that their little boy and the baby both used theirs during the funeral.
Later that evening, the Father had her come to their home and
tell them how the quilts came to be.
She said he held his quilt and remembered all of the sweet times they had together in each article of her clothing that was on the blanket.  
He absolutely loved it.
I'm so grateful I was able to take part in this most beautiful service project.
May they feel their Mother's arms around them as they wrap up in their quilts,
and may they always feel her near wherever they are.

No comments: