Monday, May 18, 2015

Goodbye For Now......

 
Just over two and a half years ago, I got a call late one night from my Uncle Bruce.
He is my Mom's baby brother.
After we got caught up with each other a little,
he proceeded to share some news with me.
He had just become aware that he had Stage 4 Colon Cancer.
I wasn't quite sure how to take that news.
While I was heartbroken, knowing stage 4 didn't mean anything good,
he was so upbeat and positive.
He wanted to try and beat this thing and was going to do all the treatments
and procedures the Dr.'s were offering and recommending.
We talked for close to an hour.
He shared with me that I had been an example to him when I was diagnosed with MS,
in the way that Travis and I had decided to handle it.
That made me feel good, that I could help him in a way,
through this trial he was now facing.
He was determined to fight this with a positive attitude and not let it stop him.
I was so proud of him.
He did many rounds of chemo, and actually did quite well, considering.
He didn't lose his hair and was able to continue working and traveling,
aside from a few days of sickness.
After the required treatments, he was given some more hard news.
The treatments didn't seem to be fighting the cancer like Dr.'s had hoped.
Infact, it had spread to his lungs and wasn't looking too good.
They had him do more treatments, and even sent him to D.C. in hopes of getting him
in to a trial treatment that was showing some progress in some patients.
We held a family fast and were hopeful there might be some more options.
After all efforts were exhausted, he was told there was nothing more they could do for him.
At that point, which was only just a couple of months ago,
they thought, and hoped he would have atleast a couple of more years left with us.
The cancer had a different plan.
It became super apparent the end of April first part of May,
that our time with him was quickly coming to an end.
He was on such a fast decline, it was all happening sooner
 than any of us had planned for. or could do anything about.
A couple of weeks ago, Grandma, Uncle Brent and Aunt Barb went to visit 
Uncle Bruce before they left on a company trip they had planned for the last year.
They wanted to spend some time with him.
While they were there, Uncle Brent Skyped with me so I could see Uncle Bruce face to face.
When my face popped up on the screen for Uncle Bruce to see,
we both immediately started crying.
I was grateful for the chance to tell him I loved him and to thank him for all he had done for me.
We talked for a few minutes, and then he talked to each one of our children and Trav.
We finished the conversation hoping we'd have a few more chances to skype.
After I hung up the phone, I felt a deep impression that I needed to get on a plane and go 
say my Good-Bye's for now, in person.
I just knew I would regret not taking that opportunity.
I immediately called Nate to see if he wanted to come with me.
He had felt the exact same.
We called Spencer and Joe to see if they too, would like to come with us.
Joe couldn't make it work with his job, understandably.
Spencer had at first thought he wouldn't be able to go either, but later that night, 
 had made arrangements to go with us.
We were worried Uncle Bruce might not be able to hold out for us,
as we had to book our tickets a week and a half out.
How grateful we are that he held on.
We had worked with John and our Cousin Merris to keep our visit a surprise.
Nate, Spencer and I flew out of the Provo Airport on Wednesday, May 13th.
 We got to Uncle Bruce's house around 4 p.m. that afternoon.
When we knocked on the door, Merris let us in and told us to stand in the entry way
while they went and got Uncle Bruce.
When he came around the corner and saw us, he broke in to tears and came right to me.
Our embrace was one I will never forget.
After we had all had a good cry and hugged for a while, we sat down to talk.
 He had just gotten off the phone with his Mission President and was very touched by the call.
He was very tired and weak, so we moved in to his family room,
so he could lay on one couch facing us, while we sat on the other.
All of us sat around laughing, and having some fun.
Uncle Bruce requested that we 3 sing Grandpa's favorite song....
"Bill Grogan's Goat!"
We did and he enjoyed it!
 
 After a while, Nate went and sat by him, and the two shared some personal thoughts and feelings.
Uncle Bruce also gave Nate 2 glass figurines that belonged to our Great-Grandma Davies.
Nate had a special relationship with her, and Uncle Bruce knew Nate would want them.
 
Everyone left the room, to give us 3 some time alone with Uncle Bruce.
Spencer Face Timed Steph and the kids so they could talk to him for a few minutes.
 My emotions quickly got the best of me.  I was having a hard time controlling them.
I excused myself and went to the bathroom to have a good cry.
When I came back out, Uncle Brucie was alone on the couch.
I sat next to him and we hugged and cried together.
I thanked him for all he had done for our family and told him I would miss him 
and loved him with all my heart.
He stroked my cheeks with his hands for a few minutes and we sat in silence embracing.
I will never, never forget that moment with him.
He was in a lot of pain and was so extremely tired.
It was getting late and we were still an hour away from our place of stay that night.
He walked us to his front door,
embraced us all again and thanked us for bringing our spirit into his home.
From there, he walked us to our car as best he could.
We took one last picture, gave one last hug and offered our Good-bye's for now.
I will never forget driving away with him waving to us.
My brothers and I went to eat on our way to stay at Nate's Sister-in-law's house.
We had a great time talking things over, each expressing how grateful we were that we came.
We stayed at Shelly's home in Gilbert that night and left by 4:30
 the next morning to catch our flight home.
As soon as we landed, I sent a text to let Uncle Bruce know we had made it safely.
I ended it with, "I love you. It was so good to be with you."
That was the last communication I had with him.
He passed just 2 days later, May 16th, early in the morning.
We got the news just as Grandma was driving to my home for the boys Basketball games.
I stayed home from the games so that Grandma and I could have some time alone.
When she came to my home I sat her down and shared the news.
I'm not sure I will ever truly understand why she and my sweet Grandpa have been given
so many hardships and trials in this life.
They are some of the dearest and sweetest people.
I just know and have to believe, that the Lord's greatest blessings will be theirs for all
they have had to suffer and overcome, yet all of the good and service they have rendered
despite their hardships and difficulties.
They have always remained faithful and are the perfect Christlike examples to me.
I'm so grateful we followed the prompting to go and personally be with Uncle Bruce
before he had to leave us. 
I know without a doubt that Families are Eternal.
I cannot wait til all our family is together again.
God Be With You Til We Meet Again Uncle Brucie.

No comments: