Friday, May 9, 2014

There Ya Go.....I.Da.Ho.

Boise Premiere Tournament

A couple of months ago, Trav got a phone call from the Cache Valley Elite team coach,
telling him they were really interested in having Garrett come play with their team for the rest of the season at a few tournaments they had coming up.
I watched as Trav took that phone call, all the while my stomach in a few knots!

At the beginning of this year, we took a good hard look at our lives.
We are busy.  Sometimes, too busy.
It's sometimes a double-edge sword.
I love that our kids are involved.  I love that they have things going on,
so that not as much time is wasted on video games and other wasteful things.
I love that they are active and have healthy, strong bodies.
I love that they are becoming so talented and that their hard work is paying off.
I love that we, as a family are there together to support them, and cheer them on.
I love that they get to be coached by their dad, and others as well.
They are teachable.  They are coachable.  They play as a team.
They work hard.  They have great teammates who are also some of their closest friends,
which in turn, has made some of their parents, our dearest friends as well.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

However, this "busy-ness" sometimes causes contention, as there is very little down time.
This "Busy-ness" becomes every family vacation and weekend plans,
leaving very little time for much else.
It is also a very expensive lifestyle.

So, as we talked at the first of the year we decided for this year, while we work harder on getting a little more financially stable, we were going to cut back somewhat and say no to a few tournaments, etc. To help buy back a little more time to do other things,
and to save some money.

So, as you can imagine, when this phone call came in, while it was flattering to know they wanted Garrett to play with them, it was also a little overwhelming.
Out of any team around, this is one we would love to have Garrett play for.
Great coaching, and great kids.  Super awesome opportunity for Garrett.
Saying no, could mean they don't ask again.
Saying yes, could mean more financial strain and more time away.

After looking over their dates, we realized there would only be 2 tournaments he could even play in anyway, so we decided to see if they would be interested in him for just those two....and they were!
The first one was in Boise - Mother's Day weekend.
What a fun couple of days to spend with just the two of us and Garrett.
We don't get much one on one time with our kids individually on things like that, so it was fun to do.
Sweet Ty stayed home and babysat with the help of Grandma Davies,
so that we could go do this in the least expensive way possible.
It was a wonderful tournament and the boys played awesome.
They won every game and swept the tournament to become the Champions.
I was really proud of Garrett......it's a little nerve racking to walk on to a team who has been playing
together and learn their plays and mesh with them.
He did have some nerves, but he played great and I think they were happy to have him.
It was fun meeting new people and watching Garrett play with a different team.
Garrett is a good kid, and we are so grateful he is ours.

No comments: